Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2016 11:33:16 PM EDT
Having trouble getting patches down the bore.  They are getting stuck.  Some slide right through but then suddenly they get stuck.  Ok I know I am a noob....but  How about someone give the the foolproof parts to do this with?  Rod, jag and patches.  Maybe some links.....Got the Otis thing stuck too.  Obviously I am not doing something right.  Never had this issue with 5 other calibers.  I am sure the army recruits are not getting the patches stuck.  LOL.

Yes I did search.  But found no parts link..
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Dumb question, but did you check to make sure the jag and patch are the right size?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The cleaning rod isn't a larger diameter than the jag is it?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  the rod is the right size.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I did check the jag (.22) and the patch size is for .22.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Not clear in your post, is this a sometimes thing or an a always thing? Have you tried a bore snake? Is the cleaning rod a one piece or the screw together type? It could be bent...

New barrel? How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not clear in your post, is this a sometimes thing or an a always thing? Have you tried a bore snake? Is the cleaning rod a one piece or the screw together type? It could be bent...

View Quote

This is my recommendation
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you mean you "clean" your weapon?  I just throw some oil in the action once every few hundred rounds

In serious though, Very common problem with newer AR users.  Just use a smaller patch.  The stuff you buy at the store is intended to be a "one size fits all" and will prob work best for 308 bores.  223/556 is really slim and the patch just won't fit well with the jig.

As others have said, an easy fix to this would be a boresnake.  I have a few, and *have* used them to clean my guns.  But mostly, cleaning is stupid and I liek my guns dirty
ymmv
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have found that patches that work well with a slotted tip get stuck or are hard to push with a jag.

I use these patches with a brass jag and a Tipton carbon rod.

These patches are about like cheap flannel bed sheet thickness and are 1" square.

With a slotted tip I could use 1 1/4" square patches.

Both bags of patches are marked .22cal/.223.

I have started to use bore snakes too. They work pretty good and are fast. I will not always patch until spotless. I run the bore snake through 3-4 times and on the last trip through I put some oil on the end of the snake. I usually dip the snake into the Hoppe's to get about 1" wet just behind the brush section.

I bought my bore snakes on eBay. I have 2 of each size I need. They work excellent and were a fraction of the cost of the Hoppe's ones. The eBay ones are the same color as the Hoppe's ones which makes me think they were made in the same sweatshop in China.

I bought one the the Army issue ODIS kits. Honestly it kind of sucks. Good enough for emergency or field use but not for bench cleaning. It sits in a bug out bag.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
May need to trim the patch some to fit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have fount hoppes patches are what i like. I have gotten cheap patches like bass pro range maxx and they seem too thick.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#11]
How about this?  Anyone get stuck with it dewey rod
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shoots fine.  I have read on here that the bore snakes do not do a complete job of cleaning.  I have some for handguns and they seem to work great.  I shied away from them because of the bad raps some give the snakes here for the AR15
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It shoots fine.  I have read on here that the bore snakes do not do a complete job of cleaning.  I have some for handguns and they seem to work great.  I shied away from them because of the bad raps some give the snakes here for the AR15
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am old school. I grew up cleaning with patches. I am one of those weirdos who likes to clean his guns.

I have tried bore snakes and I like them. They are now part of my cleaning regimen.

Do they do as good of a job as a rod with patches. I do not think so . But they are great for cleaning after a range trip or before doing a deep clean.

I find if I bore snake my ARs 3-4 times first that when I switch to patches it is much quicker to get a clean patch. The bore snake does not clean the chamber. I usually spray some brake clean and cleand around the locking lugs before I use the bore snake.

I bought my bore snakes from eBay and they look just like the Hoppe's ones.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How about this?  Anyone get stuck with it dewey rod
View Quote

For just a bit more $ get the Tipton Carbon Fiber Cleaning Rod

26 Inches just barely works for my 16" barrel with Standard A2 F/H because I use a Wheeler Delta Series Bore Guide

Get yourself a set of these Tipton Rifle Brass Jags and use the .22 caliber to use with a .22 caliber patch.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Or just get an Otis Ripcord for $8.72

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Get a patch loop for your rod.

Insert the rod through the receiver and out the muzzle

Insert patch in the loop, douse with solvent and pull.  Same for clean patches and oily patches.

You can get a much larger patch through the bore pulling  than pushing.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I do not bother with a bore guide. I use carbon fiber rods.

My ARs have muzzle devices anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am old school. I grew up cleaning with patches. I am one of those weirdos who likes to clean his guns.

I have tried bore snakes and I like them. They are now part of my cleaning regimen.

Do they do as good of a job as a rod with patches. I do not think so . But they are great for cleaning after a range trip or before doing a deep clean.

I find if I bore snake my ARs 3-4 times first that when I switch to patches it is much quicker to get a clean patch. The bore snake does not clean the chamber. I usually spray some brake clean and cleand around the locking lugs before I use the bore snake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will try this method.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
THe patch that got stuck while pushing was a .22 patch.  I was thinking of cutting it in half??
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Dewey rod and jag today.  I called them and they said it should work.  I forgot to ask the recommended patch size.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#21]
My "Jags" recommend downsizing the patch.  The .22 patches are often meant to work with a loop type patch holder.  If you have a true "Jag" (where you spike the patch on the end) you may find using the .17 patches will work much better.  I had the same issue.  If you spike the .22 patch toward the corner, rather than the center, you may find it will work.

If your patch is going partway down and getting stuck in the middle (rather than shortly after leaving the chamber) you may have a constriction or irregularity in your barrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My "Jags" recommend downsizing the patch.  The .22 patches are often meant to work with a loop type patch holder.  If you have a true "Jag" (where you spike the patch on the end) you may find using the .17 patches will work much better.  I had the same issue.  If you spike the .22 patch toward the corner, rather than the center, you may find it will work.

If your patch is going partway down and getting stuck in the middle (rather than shortly after leaving the chamber) you may have a constriction or irregularity in your barrel.
View Quote

That's why I asked earlier how the rifle shoots. I thought the same.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#23]
What are the dimensions of a .17 cal patch?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#24]
FOR A JAG  1 INCH SQ DOUBLE NAP COTTON FLANNEL WILL WORK FOR 22 CAL. YOU CAN GO 1/8 LARGER IF USING A LOOP.

CENTER THE JAG ON THE PATCH.

THEY WILL BE SNUG.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FOR A JAG  1 INCH SQ DOUBLE NAP COTTON FLANNEL WILL WORK FOR 22 CAL. YOU CAN GO 1/8 LARGER IF USING A LOOP.

CENTER THE JAG ON THE PATCH.

THEY WILL BE SNUG.
View Quote

Thanks I think I may start smaller and creep up slowly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I got the Otis "pull through" kit for the AR.  The patches are large, but you put it on the jag so that it has 360* coverage.  The first patch got stuck in my brand new rifle.  Otis suggested either dousing with cleaning solution, or putting cord in vise and pulling rifle.  I used the vice trick, which worked very well.  In hindsight, I'm aware that I didn't put enough lube on the patch.  There was 360* coverage with the patch, and no apparent scratching of the barrel.  Good luck on your solution.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What are the dimensions of a .17 cal patch?
View Quote

No idea, but you can buy them from Brownells/Midway etc etc

Looks like Tipton's are 3/4" x 3/4" (Midway link
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In serious though, Very common problem with newer AR users.  Just use a smaller patch.  The stuff you buy at the store is intended to be a "one size fits all" and will prob work best for 308 bores.  223/556 is really slim and the patch just won't fit well with the jig.
View Quote

This.  Always use the smaller patches; the 30-caliber patches will jam.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you have a true "Jag" (where you spike the patch on the end) you may find using the .17 patches will work much better.
View Quote

And they do.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I am amazed no one has said this yet....

Buy a nylon .223/5.56 bore brush.
Buy 3" Cotton Shotgun Patches, Cut Patches into 1/2" wide strips.
Soak a few patches in solvent
Wrap strips around nylon bore brush and run it down the bore

By doing this you get 100% contact with the bore and since the bore brush is not solid like a jag it will compress a little to insure it will not get stuck.  Also since its nylon the bristles will return to normal shape/size as opposed to bronze which might bend.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top