Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
I have been using this for years on all my guns.

I use Fireclean on my supressors.

I rarely see it mentioned in this forum. Why is that?

I don't see changing what's worked for me, but if I'm missing something, I would like it pointed out to me.

Anyone else have any good or negative experience with it besides me?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]
A quick good search shows that consensus is that it's not a very good product.   And after looking at the price per oz,  no thanks.  I can spend 1/2 as much and seemingly do as good, if not better with performance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Well for one it is a rust enhancer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If what you're doing is working for you, why change it up? There's so many good products out there, it's hard to keep track of them.

I know for a time Miltec was popular among desert users, since it seemed to attract less dirt compared to CLP. The hype train then moved on to products like FireClean and Froglube, which seem to have their own issues.

I think testing has show that Miltec's rust-prevention qualities are nothing special, but I don't remember reading any complaints about it as a lubricant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Milltec was a company that pretty much put US troops in danger simply to make a buck.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09735r.pdf

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well for one it is a rust enhancer.
View Quote

Never heard that. No signs of rust on mine.

(To be fair, like I said I've had a bottle since forever, so I have not researched it. That's why I thought I'd post.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to use it.
Had rust in the bore of my USP 45, whether it was with a light coat, or soaking wet.
Every informal test showed that it rusted as fast or faster than bare steel.
Rejected by the military, Marines specifically, because even though they claim it doesn't contain chlorine, it was found in testing that it does. Hence the rust.
The only test that the company ever released was the spinning rod test, and it does well on that. So does anything containing chlorine, even Chlorox bleach from your local grocery store.
The carrier lube was decent. Nothing special, just a typical synthetic lube at about 30 weight.
It doesn't prevent rust like they claim, nor did it do anything prevent carbon buildup like they claim. According to their page you didn't need to use any solvent or CLP type product anymore.
It's the "exact same thing in the bottles," as their engine oil additive. The same rejected by the Marines as an oil additive because it contained chlorine.
It's such garbage that when someone made the statement here that nobody who is talking shit about it would give it away, I promptly asked for his address and didn't even care about reimbursement for shipping. So I actually paid to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Wow.

Just.  Wow.

Honestly, thanks for the testimonials and information.

This is the internet, so forgive me for not taking your word.

That being said, it's definitely time for research on a product I didn't think to research before.

I have other lubricants, and use other lubricants, but after this maybe one less...

I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
It does nothing for rust prevention.

I've got a big bottle that goes unused.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to use it.
Had rust in the bore of my USP 45, whether it was with a light coat, or soaking wet.
Every informal test showed that it rusted as fast or faster than bare steel.
Rejected by the military, Marines specifically, because even though they claim it doesn't contain chlorine, it was found in testing that it does. Hence the rust.
The only test that the company ever released was the spinning rod test, and it does well on that. So does anything containing chlorine, even Chlorox bleach from your local grocery store.
The carrier lube was decent. Nothing special, just a typical synthetic lube at about 30 weight.
It doesn't prevent rust like they claim, nor did it do anything prevent carbon buildup like they claim. According to their page you didn't need to use any solvent or CLP type product anymore.
It's the "exact same thing in the bottles," as their engine oil additive. The same rejected by the Marines as an oil additive because it contained chlorine.
It's such garbage that when someone made the statement here that nobody who is talking shit about it would give it away, I promptly asked for his address and didn't even care about reimbursement for shipping. So I actually paid to get rid of it.
View Quote

This is old news, yes it is the internet and yes you can take every word typed above to be truth; several of us done the research years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I had experienced rust also and changed quickly to another product.  The shit sat on my self for 4 or 5 years and when I took a look at it a funny looking glob of crap was floating in it, look like an algae growth.  Needless to say I chucked it in the trash and wondered to myself way it took so long.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
How about their grease?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used Militec in many different climates.  It works fine.  

Currently using Slip 2000 and EWL because I got it for free.  It works well too.  I got lots of it so will be using it for a long time.  I'd use Militec again too and might when I run out of Slip.  

I don't use bio based products on my weapons.

There is a lot of emotion surrounding weapons lubes.  Lots of bullshit with people insisting that only their favorite product works.  The fact is, AR15s need lube.  What you use isn't really all that critical.  All lubes work to one extent or another.  Some are better than others.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#13]
It FAILED military testing badly. Read the reports, they're harsh.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm conflicted about Militec1.

The problem with Militec1 is that it got so big that I remember a senator or something started pushing for it. The military failed Militec1 several times and the company says the military is testing it wrong. So finally after hearing numerous reports, letters, etc, etc, etc, and even a news report, the military finally decided to test it again.... and it failed even worse in every test. Militec still swears the military is testing wrong, and this time the military asked them to come over and show them what they're doing wrong. Last I remember, Militec1 never went there to correct them. What the military did find is that soldiers who used CLP, then experienced failure, then tried militec1 with success is that they have very poor maintenance schedules and do not clean as regularly as recommended. People who properly maintained their rifles/pistols never experienced the failures described other than magazine failures.

It seems like militec1 also has chlorine in it which in several military testing found that it would break ship parts. Matter of fact one report I remember stated that a very expensive part kept breaking and being replaced well before it was meant to and they found they used Militec1 on it. They actually banned the usage of Militec1 due to this. Currently the ban has been lifted and Militec1 has been assigned a NSN number but it cannot be used for ship parts or mechanical parts.

On the plus side, Militec1 is shipping their products for free. They even give free bottles to people who are going on deployment. It's very hard to say what exactly is good or bad but one thing I do know is Militec1 is a conditioner, not a lube, so it would explain several things that seems to give it a false positive:

1) It dries... which in the sandbox helps not attract dust so it may be  soldiers are stating it is "good" but reality it's just that it's not attracting dust

2) Poor maintenance is okay... clp has to be regularly updated and the military found in their report that most soldiers did not know how - or failed to - regularly clean their rifles. Militec1, since it "conditions" the metal, it essentially has no collection of liquid to attract dust so if you fail to clean your gun properly, it's okay.

3) Even in the highest rapid fire firearm, the chlorine in Militec1 would probably never have any effect on the metal during the life span of the part. Put it on something that pumps out 100,000 cycles in less than a minute or two, you're going to find the chlorine is going to weaken the metal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I always remember Militec as the first ( of many) heat and treat type lubes. Wether it be with an external heat source or just firing the gun it was supposed to coat/penetrate/season the metal. It seemed like it was pretty popular back when I got into shooting in around 05 or so.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always remember Militec as the first ( of many) heat and treat type lubes. Wether it be with an external heat source or just firing the gun it was supposed to coat/penetrate/season the metal. It seemed like it was pretty popular back when I got into shooting in around 05 or so.
View Quote

It works fine.  I've heard the apply and heat argument but never bought into it.  I just applied it like any other oil.  Always worked well and never had any of the rumored horror stories happen with it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried it, but went back to CLP.  CLP worked much better, IMHO.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top