Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 12:48:29 PM EDT
I've found a couple of liters of synthetic (10w45) and mineral  (10w40) motor oil. I always read about people buying mobil 1 instead of gun oil and was thinking about using these left overs at least for cleaning my ARs. And maybe keep using ballistol just for lubricate.
Would that be safe?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Motor oil has detergents so it would clean well, I would wear gloves though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Motor oil is a lubricant, not a cleaning agent.

I lube all my firearms with Mobile 1 synthetic (1 qt = lifetime supply), but I don't clean them with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I lube all my firearms with Mobile 1 synthetic (1 qt = lifetime supply), but I don't clean them with it.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Yep Yep
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Clean with non-chlorinated brake cleaner
lube with Mobil-1
profit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup. I always save the couple ounces I have left over of new oil after my oil changes. Lasts me a while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
MPRO-7 does a better job and is completely safe.  Brake cleaner won't remove heavy carbon buildups, leading, or copper.  It does de-grease very well. Brake cleaner tends to have a lot of splash back and is not good for the skin, lips, or eyes.  It does quite a bit of damage to a protective face shield, so it really isn't the safest thing to be using on your firearm, or inside an enclosure.

You already have Ballistol.  Why try to reinvent the wheel?  Motor oil won't clean for shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
ballistol for clean.

Motor oil for lube.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This isnt 2 years into a shtf scenario where all u have is motor oil.  Use cleaning agents to clean use the oil to lube if u want.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ballistol for clean.

Motor oil for lube.

View Quote
This

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:56:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The ballistol will clean it just fine.

Honestly though if you lube all the correct friction points of the bolt you probably don't have to clean that often and can just scrub everything off the bolt with minimal effort. Just be sure to look at a FAQ or read up on the friction points of a ar15 and just make sure you cover that part with a dash of oil.

I recommend mobil1 grease rather than the oil. Mainly because if you put a small dash of it on the bolt friction points, you'll find you can just as easily wipe everything off. You can buy a tub at a auto store for about 7 bucks and it'll last you forever.

As always remember that CLP like Ballistol do more than just "clean" and "lube" your gun. Most of the time it is protecting your gun from rust and other elements out there. So while a lot of folks use motor oil, and perhaps there is nothing wrong with it, just note you're not getting the total protection you would with regular old gun oil. The cheapest gun oil will do a better job at protecting your fire arm than the most expensive motor oil ever would.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I just use it as lube
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Cleaning a firearm with motor oil.  All I have to say is this, "If you can succeed I want to know your method."  Motor oil is a lubricant, though it has detergents in it, motor oil makes for a bad cleaner.
Many people use motor oil as a firearm lubricant with great success but as a cleaner, I have not herd of any success stories.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree motor oil alone is not a good cleaner but if you add something like Kroil to it, them you have your own CLP.  I use 1 part Kroil and 3 parts Mobile 1 synthetic it works for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've found a couple of liters of synthetic (10w45) and mineral  (10w40) motor oil. I always read about people buying mobil 1 instead of gun oil and was thinking about using these left overs at least for cleaning my ARs. And maybe keep using ballistol just for lubricate.
Would that be safe?
View Quote

Yes, it would be safe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I use 10W-30 Super Tech full synthetic motor oil from Wal-Mart to lube my AR's.  Meets the same specs as Mobil  for you Mobile 1 snobs. .

I also use a home made gun cleaner called "Ed's Red".  Its egual parts kerosene, ATF fluid, mineral spirits, acetone.  I also mix it without the acetone for cleaning around plastic parts.  It does stink though, best to use it outside or in the garage.  A Google search will give you the history of "Ed's Red" if your interested.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe mineral oil is used in gear boxes, and rear ends, not as a motor oil.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top