Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2016 10:25:42 PM EDT
What do you need to do to break the bond of blue loctite?  Heat or force?

Also, what do you need to clean up blue loctite if you put too much on threads and some of it seeped up around the bolt head and onto a handguard?  I want the handguard to be clean for when I spray paint it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Blue should just be force. Yes, wipe up the excess
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

After its already dried I Mean.  I tried to wipe it up but there was a small area I couldn't reach and I want to get that part too with some sort of solvent.  But I don't know what to use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to use brake clean or carb cleaner and a q-tip. Or a cotton rag wrapped around tweezers or toothpick. I would try alcohol first. It's been awhile since a cared about excess. I usually use it on my truck or Harley.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
After its already dried I Mean.  I tried to wipe it up but there was a small area I couldn't reach and I want to get that part too with some sort of solvent.  But I don't know what to use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Loctite is an anerobic compound - it hardens only in the absence of air, actually oxygen IIRC.

Thats why the bottle is not full, the airspace keeps it liquid.

So, any compound you can see, is probably still liquid. Just hard to get to, to wipe up.

As far as I know, there is no solvent for cured Loctite, at least any chemicals you want to use.

I would suggest mechanical removal - scrape, wipe, rub, etc. Toothpick, dentist explorer type of thing.

It sounds like to much got applied - a little drop will do ya - blue will usually come apart mechanically,

but a heavy coat can be tough, especially on small fasteners. Some heat softens it pretty nicely, tho.

A hair dryer, heat gun, or even a soldering iron right on the fastener, can do wonders.

Also, keep loctite off plastic components, it can eat them up, sometimes catastrophically.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Loctite is an anerobic compound - it hardens only in the absence of air, actually oxygen IIRC.
So, any compound you can see, is probably still liquid. Just hard to get to, to wipe up.

As far as I know, there is no solvent for cured Loctite, at least any chemicals you want to use.

I would suggest mechanical removal - scrape, wipe, rub, etc. Toothpick, dentist explorer type of thing.

It sounds like to much got applied - a little drop will do ya - blue will usually come apart mechanically,
but a heavy coat can be tough, especially on small fasteners. Some heat softens it pretty nicely, tho.
A hair dryer, heat gun, or even a soldering iron right on the fastener, can do wonders.

Also, keep loctite off plastic components, it can eat them up, sometimes catastrophically.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another idea would be to go to the Locktite website and see what info and FAQ's they might have. I'm just a shade tree mechanic
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Methylene Chloride or you could try Acetone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Methylene Chloride or you could try Acetone.
View Quote

This.

Though I have never found a source of Methylene Chloride that was pure enough to work very well. I usually end up soaking the parts in Acetone.

Even after the Acetone I still have to pick at the threadlocker to get it off the threads.

Don't get either of these on plastic though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
All I got is xylene, naptha and paint stripper in a spray can?  Will the xylene do the same thing?  I'm guessing it should.  Definitely don't get that on plastic though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All I got is xylene, naptha and paint stripper in a spray can?  Will the xylene do the same thing?  I'm guessing it should.  Definitely don't get that on plastic though.
View Quote

I don't know, I have never tried Xylene... Naptha won't do anything but the paint stripper might have Methylene Chloride in it, you should search for the MSDS online to find the list of ingredients.

For your situation I would think just blasting at it with brakleen should work since the threadlocker is not cured.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had luck using Permatex Gasket Remover-----I also understand that MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) will dissolve it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Steal one of your wife's or girlfriend fingernail pushers (plastic or wood with an angle on tip)

Scrape it off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had luck using Permatex Gasket Remover-----I also understand that MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) will dissolve it.
View Quote

I have tried MEK, it won't touch cured threadlocker.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I have never had issues with turning cured blue loctite screws with just a wrench. The torque rating, I believe is about 50lbs to undo but I always find it starts to turn at about 30lbs torque or so. This is all assuming you have a good screw in there and you're using the proper wrench/screwdriver and a proper base. For tiny screws or cheaply made screws or improper tools will strip the head of the screw and you're in for a real hard time. You'll just have to trust that you won't break/strip the screw head by giving it a good thug. Don't be afraid to put some elbow grease on it.

However, blue loctite 242 has a temp threshold of about 200 degrees so if all parts are metal, you can simply use heat and simply turn the screw. For really stubborn, long time loctite stuff, I find heating it first really helps.

If you have a tiny screw, I recommend getting purple loctite. Also, you might want to invest in rockset for firearms. Of course it is much harder to undo but its weakness is water so soaking it helps.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top