Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 5:54:10 PM EDT
Bought a nickel boron bcg while it was on sale, any cleaning products that will damage the coating? I would imagine ammonia might, but what about ammonia free solvents that react with copper? eg boretech eliminator, patch out,. etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought a nickel boron bcg while it was on sale, any cleaning products that will damage the coating? I would imagine ammonia might, but what about ammonia free solvents that react with copper? eg boretech eliminator, patch out,. etc.
View Quote

sbaker,

I think the chemicals you use are too harsh when cleaning a BCG group that's nickle boron. You didn't say why you want to use such a solvent? In basic form you can use just Hoppe's and that should be more than enough for your needs.

Personally I use either Breakfree or Rem Oil to clean my bolts along with a plastic brush.

Impala
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here where someone used Hoppe's 9 to clean a NiB carrier and it stained the finish.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The issue is there are many things called Nickel Boron but the are not all the same. Personally when I go Nickel Boron I try to make sure it's WMD NiB-X. That said I have had GREAT success with Weapon Shield CLP. I coated everything wet for the first few trips to the range and everything just wiped right off with no staining. After a few days at the range you can just lube as normal and you will be good to go. Easy to clean and no staining or damage to the Nickel Boron.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top