Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2016 10:10:11 PM EDT
I'm looking for a solvent that will strip paint but leave anodizing behind and is aluminum safe. So far I've read that Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) Solvent works good but just needs to be done in a well ventilated area. I was told Xylene will work as well. Will mineral spirits or kerosene strip paint and leave anodizing? Or does anyone have any better suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
There an organic based orange goop type product I always used int he past with great results.

I doubt any solvent is going to readily effect anodizing, with is a layer of oxidation that is colored. Mechanical blasting is about the only thing that will remove it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of paint? Spray paint? Any organic solvent (i.e. Xylene found in any degreaser) should work and leave the anodizing alone. Just use it in a well ventilated area and wear gloves.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Any organic solvent should work fine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a bottle of mineral spirits today. Slowly but surely it is removing the paint and the anodizing is left behind.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used klean strip on other guns and painted stuff, it works pretty well. Citri strip is supposed to work better. Iirc, a member here did a demo with citri strip removing paint from an AR. It looked pretty easy and not much work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's spray paint, graffiti remover works great. I've used this a few times to remove home camo jobs on guns that were sold or traded to the store I'm at.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top