Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2016 1:44:48 AM EDT
I tried searching for this, but didn't find anything. Im assuming because it is simple and there is no need for the question to be asked ha!

I know that there are 2 allen head screws and and a set screw, and I have loosened all of those. I am only switching from a 12.37" to the 15", so I should be able to use the same thermal bushings, but I cant slide the handguard off. Any suggestions? or direction as to what I may be doing wrong?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Loosen more then tap with a rubber mallet
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried that...still no luck. I guess I am going to have to take it to a gunsmith. I just dont think I can get it off without possibly damaging it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently took off my 9-EX. It didn't just pop off. I took out the 2 allen screws at the bottom of the tube. Tapped it off with a compothane mallet. You may have Loctite on the thermal bushings. Hit it off. It will go.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Well...I got it off...The issue that I has having difficulty with is that there is very little almost no contact area to hit with a rubber mallot. So...I installed one of the picatinny rails that comes with the handguard and hit it, instead of trying to hit it from the top. It came right off after about 4 hits. Hopefully someone else can use this and not nick up your handguard like I did, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I replaced my 15" Samson Evo with a Fortis MLok Rev II handguard.  Guess I was lucky because the EVO came right off..........well, that is, after I removed the set screw
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top