Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2016 7:45:19 PM EDT
I am fairly new to the ar platform. I went to the family ranch over the holidays and made the mistake of using steel cased ammo. Hindsight  I experienced a failure to eject. I've picked up a cleaning kit to try extract  the case but no luck. This thing is stuck. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel rod.

Insert through muzzle.

Pound the case out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Will pick one up. The hoppes kit came with a aluminum one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It should come out easily with a steel rod.
3/16" rod (or 7/32" if they have it)  from Home Depot will be cheaper than beating on an expensive gun-store cleaning rod.

I've been through it.

You'll need to find something else to do with that steel-case ammo.
If you have a notion that you'll "just shoot it" once you have the steel rod, you are not considering HOW GODAWFUL HOT that rod gets when you stick it down the bore right after a round is fired. You get to do that about twice before you get burned. I guess you could shoot in welder's gloves. For me, that got old real fast.

You aren't saving enough money shooting steel-case to put up with any of this sort of aggravation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Newbie mistake. Will not make this mistake again. What sucks is I have over 800 rounds of this crap. Only  good thing is that I have ak kit in 223 that I was going to get rid of. Guess I'll have that built to use ar mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a WASR-3 that tolerated steel-case .223 ammo.

The novelty of shooting a WASR for no real purpose other than (I bought a case of that crap-ammo too) shooting up WOLF steel ammo got old pretty quick too.

Setting up an AR for accurate work - triggers, sights, etc. - gets expensive.
Once I've got that much $$$ invested in a quality rifle, I want to shoot the quality rifle. Not the "go-bang" AK so much.
I still have three AK's that I basically function-tested, and then haven't fired in probably three years.
Maybe if I had unlimited range time I would feel differently.

Good luck building your 5.56 AK kit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell the ammo  - chalk the loss up to experience and move on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My intentions. Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there, Done that.
Had a old stainless steel cb antenna in the corner of the garage, cut it to length and pretty much dropped down the barrel. Came out pretty easy. Never fired a steel case again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If the bolt is retracted (and I suspect it is) it should come out with a rod. If the bolt is still closed, it will not. You have to get the bolt to rotate enough to disengage the bolt lugs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Mortar!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it one specific brand of steel cased ammo? I ask because my rifle will eat Wolf Polyformance but chokes on Tula (stuck cases.) Yes, it is frustrating as all get-out!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Tula
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top