Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 11:04:43 PM EDT
So I bought this the other day along with the cleaning solution. 32 OZ. It says mix with water.....Water will make it rust, anyone familiar with the cleaner?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Water will make what rust?

I have the RCBS ultrasonic cleaner and have used it heavily for brass and parts cleaning. I have used Hornady's solutions and RCBS'S brand as well as homemade solutions.

Just follow the instructions on the label and it will work fine. Also don't be afraid to crank that heater up.

The RCBS brand brass solution seems to work a little better for brass cleaning but I have no scientific test.

I have left the Hornady solution and the RCBS cleaner in the cleaner for days with no I'll effects.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Water will make what rust?

I have the RCBS ultrasonic cleaner and have used it heavily for brass and parts cleaning. I have used Hornady's solutions and RCBS'S brand as well as homemade solutions.

Just follow the instructions on the label and it will work fine. Also don't be afraid to crank that heater up.

The RCBS brand brass solution seems to work a little better for brass cleaning but I have no scientific test.

I have left the Hornady solution and the RCBS cleaner in the cleaner for days with no I'll effects.
View Quote

Silencers, bolts and carriers. So you're saying a couple ounces of that rcbs and a lot of water won't rust out either of those if mixed properly?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]
No sir, it will not cause it to rust. Unless you have some really bad water I suppose .

Your not supposed to leave stuff soaking for an extended period of time. But I've left BCGs and a suppressor soaking overnight before personally(probably not a good idea)

With the RCBS gun cleaning solution after I take it out I shake off the excess then blast it with a an air hose to speed the drying. I just use the what he the instructions say and a 32 Oz bottle lasts me awhile.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
On a side note I use it to clean the wife's jewelry sometimes to, works great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No sir, it will not cause it to rust. Unless you have some really bad water I suppose .

Your not supposed to leave stuff soaking for an extended period of time. But I've left BCGs and a suppressor soaking overnight before personally(probably not a good idea)

With the RCBS gun cleaning solution after I take it out I shake off the excess then blast it with a an air hose to speed the drying. I just use the what he the instructions say and a 32 Oz bottle lasts me awhile.

View Quote

Same. Used it last night. Mixed it with bottled water. Our water out here sucks. Going to check for rust throughout the week. Just makes me nervous because I know how easily the AR and components rust.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Rust is always an issue with water. After using an ultrasonic cleaner with H2O based solvent, I nearly always flush the parts with a fast evaporating petroleum solvent to displace any residual moisture (Brake cleaner, mineral spirits, wd40, etc.)
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, long term humidity and or sweaty finger prints are far worse, What I do is after cleanming them, take them out, rinse them off good, and then blow them out with an air compressor. Then I usually throw the parts in a ziplock with oil. so far not a spec of rust on even rust prone guns.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly, long term humidity and or sweaty finger prints are far worse, What I do is after cleanming them, take them out, rinse them off good, and then blow them out with an air compressor. Then I usually throw the parts in a ziplock with oil. so far not a spec of rust on even rust prone guns.
View Quote

The bag part sounds like a good idea.....I didn't do that, but both of my Silencers are titanium and they said titanium doesn't rust, so I should be okay. The bolt and carrier however......I did oil them with a lot of CLP so I'm hoping I'll be alright.

Also thank you guys for contributing to this thread, and helping me.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top