Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2015 10:04:22 AM EDT
http://www.ar15news.com/

Froglube  has put out a new version of Its lubricant for a wide temperature range to meet govt requirements. Don't know if the link works or not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Froglube  has put out a new version of Its lubricant for a wide temperature range to meet govt requirements. Don't know if the link works or not.
View Quote

Sorry, ARFCOM says Froglube is snake oil and gums up weapons.

(I run froglube)
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

(I run froglube)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(I run froglube)

So do I
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It's peanut oil to pander to fireclean users.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I honestly did not like how gummy it got in my guns. It was great when first applied but after a while in the gun it got very sticky. I gave away what I had, not for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Odd, I use it in my hand guns with great success; although I do service them every time they are shot.
I have not exposed them to extreme cold temps, I could see how the Frog Lube could solidify in extreme cold temps. But you shouldn't have that much lube in there to begin with.

I have not heard of a new formula...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Ditto...I really like it....lite coatings on all...run smooth
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep it on the night stand, next to the box-of-tissues.   Is that not what it's intended for?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I used it when it first came out. I also believe I applied too much, and it did gum up. However, my main complaint was that if I DIDN'T apply a lot (say, just a thin film), my weapon rusted (Noveske, it was the back half of the bolt that rusted, after I wiped the powder fouling off with a microfiber and left a thin sheen of FL in place as instructions stated). I discontinued use after that experience.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been using Froglube for a year and found that it has a very quick drying rate. If I applied Froglube the night before going to the range, it works like a dream. Very smooth, and shoot hundred of rounds without problems.

However, if I let froglube sit, for let's say a week or two, I notice the performances are very sluggish, and dries up in a matter of 100 rounds or so. The bolt is bone dry and doesn't function very well at all.

And yes, I do heat my guns up before applying it.

As far as it gumming up your weapons, I don't find this true at all. However, I did have a bag of bolt carrier groups that I have in storage lubed with froglube. I notice at the bottom of the bag is sticky fluid. Not sure what happened.

Overall I am done with froglube. I do believe since in the military they clean their weapons frequently that Froglube will do fine in that regard. It seems like if you apply it at least a few days before shooting it, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Instructions for lube

That is retarded
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to admit that I did enjoy trying out and testing at least 3 to 4 different new snake oils that have came out over the past few years, but when all was said and done I ended up going back to the tried and true that I never had any problems with in the first place anyways. Just thought I would enjoy trying something new.

I am pretty much done with the whole snake oil thing. SLP 2000 products is what I'm going to stick with from now on. I will say that my favorite out of the whole bunch of snake oils was the frog lube.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember when Militec 1 came out and was supposed to be the best wonder lube. It was proven over and over to be junk. Frog Lube is the new Militec 1. Slip2000 has proven to be the best lube on the market and has Aberdeen Proving Grounds testing to back it up as well as countless customers in the real word saying nothing but good stuff. Why use a bull shit product when there are much better, proven choices to be had(not just Slip2000)?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember when Militec 1 came out and was supposed to be the best wonder lube. It was proven over and over to be junk. Frog Lube is the new Militec 1. Slip2000 has proven to be the best lube on the market and has Aberdeen Proving Grounds testing to back it up as well as countless customers in the real word saying nothing but good stuff. Why use a bull shit product when there are much better, proven choices to be had(not just Slip2000)?
View Quote

Not to mention Militech has stuff in it that creaks stress cracks in bolts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So do I
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(I run froglube)

So do I

Totally cool that you guys use whatever you like.. I'm just saying.. you're being ripped off.

Especially when a lifetime supply of gun lube is only $7
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposed to say creates, and chlorine is generally not something you want in your lubricant.

Militech has also failed 9 out of 11 Military trials.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Supposed to say creates, and chlorine is generally not something you want in your lubricant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK Gotch ya.
I've never tried militech, but where is this evidence of it actually causing stress cracks in bolts? Any pics or actual recorded data?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet.

Now I'll go to Africa and fly in my witch doctor so he can help me apply it correctly per froglubes directions:

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sweet.

Now I'll go to Africa and fly in my witch doctor so he can help me apply it correctly per froglubes directions:

http://www.nerdygaga.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Witch-doctor-squidoo.image_.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OK Gotch ya.
I've never tried militech, but where is this evidence of it actually causing stress cracks in bolts? Any pics or actual recorded data?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK Gotch ya.

I'm not sure of sourcing EXACTLY which you speak, but the military took its NSN number away for a good reason. Corrosion, hydrogen embrittlement, etc. Its bad juju.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I am done with the snake / cooking oil.  Frog Lube has gummed up on me if I didn't stay on top of it...  Don't even think about getting that stuff into a revolver's lock work.
If you have more than two guns and sometimes don't get time to shoot a lot, sometimes they sit in the safe for a while and they get gummy.  I do think most people use too much, me included.  

Anyway, done with all of it.  (Marketing guys, you listening?)

I am going to mix up a jug of Ed' Red or some other concoction and call it a day.
Recipe I found online:
4 quarts synthetic motor oil (weight your choice based on your climate and AOR)
1 quart synthetic automatic transmission oil
8 oz Hoppes #9
1 pint STP synthetic oil treatment  
Pit Snipes used to use wintergreen oil to break apart stubborn bolts, maybe a drop or two of that..
May throw in some EVOO for good measure.

I once had a SEAL Master Chief yell at me because I wasn't using Mobile One on my guns....I should have listened.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am done with the snake / cooking oil.  Frog Lube has gummed up on me if I didn't stay on top of it...  Don't even think about getting that stuff into a revolver's lock work.
If you have more than two guns and sometimes don't get time to shoot a lot, sometimes they sit in the safe for a while and they get gummy.  I do think most people use too much, me included.  

I am going to mix up a jug of Ed' Red or some other concoction and call it a day.
Recipe I found online:
8 oz Hoppes #9
Pit Snipes used to use wintergreen oil to break apart stubborn bolts, maybe a drop or two of that..

I once had a SEAL Master Chief yell at me because I wasn't using Mobile One on my guns....I should have listened.
View Quote

In that recipe.   Are all those mixed together?   I'm serious, I don't know.  

Is the Mobil 1 the oil or the grease?
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys crack me up.

(edited)who put too much froglube then bitch. Using it for 7 plus years with no problems.

If you put too much of anything it gums up. Field and duty tested here

please stop the name calling- Roadhawk
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#24]
To clarify, gummed up even when applied properly.  Go ahead and use it...

Quoted:
You guys crack me up.

edited who put too much froglube then bitch. Using it for 7 plus years with no problems.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Oil.  Lots of cleaner and lube recipes out there. Just do a search on Ed's Red.  
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recipe I found online:
8 oz Hoppes #9

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You guys crack me up.

edited who put too much froglube then bitch. Using it for 7 plus years with no problems.

View Quote

I can slather the fuck out of my gun in slip 2k or motor oil

Guess what?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You guys crack me up.

(edited)who put too much froglube then bitch. Using it for 7 plus years with no problems.

View Quote

I tried applying it as a thin sheen, much like I do FIREClean, and the result was rust within 24 hours. I had shot the weapon all heavily lubed with Froglube paste, and when I cleaned it, I just wiped it down/off without adding anymore. What remained was a thin sheen that made everything look "wet". 24 hours later when I got the weapon home, there was orange rust speckles on my bolt. I have never had that happen with any other product.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Recipe I found online:
8 oz Hoppes #9

View Quote

That is absolutely ridiculous.  Use either the motor oil or the ATF.  The ATF will do everything all the other stuff will do.  ATF and Acetone is a super cleaner and penetrating oil.  

I use Slip 2000EWL.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You guys crack me up.

View Quote

I see you used my witch doctor since its actually working for you.

He's a nice guy, especially if you feed him a bowl of cereal.  

*the above is code for froglube is complete and utter horse shit for those who run to redline in a low gear and wonder why they just can't get ahead*

I can completely dunk my BCG in Slip 2000 and guess what, it doesn't gum up or cause problems!!!

(thats a clue)
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Deleted.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top