Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2015 5:58:33 PM EDT
There is a huge difference between Safariland Break Free Power Blast vs. the Safariland Break Free CLP Cleaner Lubricate Protectant.  The latter does not have acetone in it.

Safariland Break Free Power Blast has acetone in it and the acetone will melt plastic and may damage Most Polymer Parts.  

Please read the fine print when you look at buying these gun cleaning spray cans.  If you are not careful you can ruin a good handgun in a manner of minutes.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for that!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Nylon, which is the plastic base for many gun industry polymers, rates well against acetone.  There might be other chemicals in powder blast that affect polymer, but acetone wouldn't overly concern me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is a huge difference between Safariland Break Free Power Blast vs. the Safariland Break Free CLP Cleaner Lubricate Protectant.  The latter does not have acetone in it.

Safariland Break Free Power Blast has acetone in it and the acetone will melt plastic and may damage Most Polymer Parts.  

Please read the fine print when you look at buying these gun cleaning spray cans.  If you are not careful you can ruin a good handgun in a manner of minutes.

View Quote

Pictures of the damage?

What was hurt by the spray?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a plastic-safe version I believe.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
And then there is non-chlorinated brake cleaner for less than $3.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
non-chlorinated brake cleaner

cheap and effective.

never buy gun marketed parts degreaser.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Acetone is safe on Magpul polymer, wont hurt your anodized parts either even with a brass brush. I've used that method to strip rattlecanned ARs a few times now.

For general degreasing as said above non chlorinated brake cleaner kicks ass, great for a quick clean of your upper and BCG, too. In fact I get Mobil 1, brake cleaner, lithium grease and blue shop towels for dirt cheap and they work as well as any firearm specific product Ive used. The auto section is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Just use Slip2000 products like their 725 degreaser/cleaner and you will never have to worry about harming your firearms. It also will clean much better too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which is Acetone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is Acetone.

I looked up the MSDS for several brake part cleaners and Break-Free Powder Blast.  I thought brake parts cleaners were all pretty much the same, but they weren't.

Break-Free Powder Blast Gun Cleaner
Acetone >50%
Carbon Dioxide <25%
Toluene <25%
(R)-p-mentha-1,8-diene <25%

CRC / Brakleen
Methanol 40-50%
Toluene 10-20%
Acetone 5-15%
(and a long list of other chemicals)

Super Tech Brake Parts Cleaner
Toluene 33-43%
Methanol 26-36%
Acetone 17-27%
Carbon Dioxide <10%
Dimethoxypropane <5%

3M High Power Brake Cleaner
Acetone 40-60%
Solvent Naphtha (Petroleum), Light Aliphatic 15-30%
Propane 7 - 13%
Xylene 10%
Ethylbenzene 0.5-3%
Toluene < 0.01%
Benzene < 0.01%
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I looked up the MSDS for several brake part cleaners and Break-Free Powder Blast.  I thought brake parts cleaners were all pretty much the same, but they weren't.

Acetone >50%
Carbon Dioxide <25%
Toluene <25%

CRC / Brakleen
Methanol 40-50%
Toluene 10-20%
Acetone 5-15%

Toluene 33-43%
Methanol 26-36%
Acetone 17-27%
Carbon Dioxide <10%
Dimethoxypropane <5%

Acetone 40-60%
Propane 7 - 13%
Xylene 10%
Ethylbenzene 0.5-3%
Toluene < 0.01%
Benzene < 0.01%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is Acetone.

Acetone >50%
Carbon Dioxide <25%
Toluene <25%

CRC / Brakleen
Methanol 40-50%
Toluene 10-20%
Acetone 5-15%

Toluene 33-43%
Methanol 26-36%
Acetone 17-27%
Carbon Dioxide <10%
Dimethoxypropane <5%

Acetone 40-60%
Propane 7 - 13%
Xylene 10%
Ethylbenzene 0.5-3%
Toluene < 0.01%
Benzene < 0.01%

Thanks, this is good info. Which would you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used Acetone to unpaint a few ARs.  Colt and Magpul plastic doesn't mind it at all.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I like to use Prolix myself.

Impala
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
non-chlorinated brake cleaner

cheap and effective.

never buy gun marketed parts degreaser.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which is Acetone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is Acetone.

And you've seen my guns that were cleaned with it.  They were fine, no?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I suspect you were mainly using it on your 5.45 S&W AR no?

View Quote

Nope.  EVERYTHING.  Glock frames, other ARs, everything except bolt guns (glass fears).  The 5.45 mainly gets hot water and non chlorinated brake cleaner every 1k-2k rounds.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I soaked a standard ar15 pistol grip in a 50/50 mixture of acetone and berryman's b12 for 2 days, didn't hurt it a single bit, no softening, discoloration or anything. I still don't know if I would hose my glocks down in it, but It should be fine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad that you said that.  I used the Acetone on my Walther's PPQ M2 pistols polymer parts and was worried as the trigger was more gritty after I cleaned it with the Safariland Break Free Powder Blast.  This stuff also has Toluene in it besides the Acetone.   I've heard that it does NOT hurt the polymer and then some people said it does harm the Polymer.  And I'm concerned.  Are all polymer the same and made with Nylon?  I guess the best thing to do is to try a small amount of the cleaning spray on a non conspicuous part of the polymer of concern and see if it harms the polymer in any way after a while.   If there is no visible damage or harm then you can use that cleaner. I still would not let any cleaner with acetone stay in contact with the polymer or plastic parts for any length of time.   I'm wondering if the trigger on my Walthers is made out of plastic and that could be the problem.  The gun is polymer but some of the internal parts may be made out of plastic maybe?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for posting those MSDS Material Safety Data Sheets.  Some companies don't post those or make it hard to find them for their products.  I used to work in the lab safety department and had to keep an MSDS on each chemical that we used in the laboratory and had to train the chemists on the use of MSDS before they could work in the lab.  Talk about trying to heard cats.  LOL

They all seem to use Acetone in their formulas.   I use acetone a lot in the laboratory and have ruined a few plastic parts over the last 30 years.  I'ts best to test the part and verify that it's not going to melt or deform when exposed to ACETONE or other chemicals.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top