AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think it's that, as much as people feeling ripped off due to the price markup. After all, they're selling vegetable oil at nearly the same price as Krytox.

And/or that people could use an improvised variation at a vastly lower cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't use it if you don't want to.

I don't think it's that, as much as people feeling ripped off due to the price markup. After all, they're selling vegetable oil at nearly the same price as Krytox.

And/or that people could use an improvised variation at a vastly lower cost.

And Crude is 55/gal and Mobil 1 is selling at for $8/quart. Better still, people are paying $/1 16oz bottle for WATER!

So many more causes and crusades to take up, especially when noone even knows FIREClean's mark-up. People are pulling guesses out of their arse and then getting excited like they know something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I use Fireclean and am watching this with some interest because I, too, am concerned about long term gumming.

My dad was a research scientist and used photospectrometers all day long, with a little bit of mass spectroscopy. ALL those things do is tell you the elemental components of a compound. In the case of the photospectrometers, you dissolved the samples in acid, injected them into a plasma "flame" (about 8000 degrees) bounced the light off a diffraction grating and measured the wavelengths. Each element has a particular signature and the resulting analysis shows you the elemental composition of the compound. This much hydrogen, this much lead, this much arsenic, this much aluminum. Only elements.

They don't do SHIT for distinguishing the molecular arrangements in organic compounds. They can't. If two compounds are made up of carbon and hydrogen they will show up pretty similar. Unless you can determine molecular weight, just knowing that you've got carbon and hydrogen isn't going to tell you the chain length or saturation or any chemical properties.

Let's look at the one obvious difference between Fireclean and Crisco-- Crisco is a hydrogenated fat and solid at room temperature. Fireclean is not.

We don't have to make any statement beyond that to know that Fireclean is not Crisco.

That said, maybe it is just a highly refined, highly purified vegetable oil. Frankly I am very curious myself. I am well aware of how vegetable oils gum in a high heat setting, I see it all the time with cast iron skillets, saute pans and my French cooktop (which is seasoned with heated peanut oil). I don't heat my BCG to 500 degrees, but high temps are certainly present in the chamber, barrel, etc.

The BIG QUESTION is simply this: has Fireclean somehow found a way to prevent gumming and oxidation? Their patent actually seems to claim that this gumming is part of the carbon protection. Yikes....

I'll say this: so far so good. Been using it for about 3 months now and parts do clean up pretty easily and BCGs seem to stay pretty wet through a range session. Jury is still way, way out, though. Time and experience should tell. If I see any sign of gumming I will stop using it. The only way to get the gum of is to use acid and I ain't taking Bar Keeper's Friend to my gun parts.

-Stooxie
View Quote

I have found that less is more with FIREClean. Andrew Touhy explained it best when he said he shot 40,000 rounds between I believe 4 guns, using only about a dozen drops of FC, total.

How I treat my weapons is to very very lightly lubricate then, as in, I apply the lube, and then wipe the part off with a paper towel. That's all that is necessary for the FIREClean to work very well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I suspect that if you strip the metal parts of all oils like FireClean instructs and used Canola oil in the same manner you'd have similar results. Probably almost any oil for that matter.  
I've used FireClean and Slip 2000 with great results.  My only concern as previously stated is FireClean makes no claims to protect against corrosion and the rancid odor from the old bottle I have makes me concerned it will gum up long term.  

Also, as a consumer it does make me feel rather stupid to pay so much for repackaged Veg oil.  

View Quote

A few guys on TOS tried that. Their guns were "A sticky mess" in 24 hours, lol. I personally think that FIREClean made that press release just because they wanted to screw with idiots who they knew would be emboldened to "Do what they aren't supposed to", and by god it worked, and it's funny as hell to me to watch!
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I never paid much attention to gun lubes before but it does sound like vegetable or synthetic non oils clean up better. I've never cleaned a suppressor, can't you just blast it with gun scrubber or carb cleaner?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot suppressed a lot and it makes it easier to clean.
If someone were to come up with a diy recipe that performs just as good I'd make the switch.
I never paid much attention to gun lubes before but it does sound like vegetable or synthetic non oils clean up better. I've never cleaned a suppressor, can't you just blast it with gun scrubber or carb cleaner?  

Haha, I wish. I clean cans with CLR. Gun-scrubber might get the fingerprints off? I have not personally noticed that FIREClean keeps suppressor baffles clean or anything of the sort, as I get my cans well past its burn-off temps, although Fireclean claims it does, and some people agree, that is the one and only area where I have seen it abjectly fail to "meet claims". Who knows, maybe only on rimfire cans? due to lower temps?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
For me M-Pro 7 LPX does everything Fireclean does for 1/3 the price and works in cold temps which Fireclean did not.
And I don't have to strip the parts with solvent before using it. IMO Fireclean just isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:31:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For me M-Pro 7 LPX does everything Fireclean does for 1/3 the price and works in cold temps which Fireclean did not.
And I don't have to strip the parts with solvent before using it. IMO Fireclean just isn't worth it.
View Quote

Out of curiosity, how did the weapon work when you added the M-PRO 7 LPX to it without first stripping the FC off? Any issues, or no?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how did the weapon work when you added the M-PRO 7 LPX to it without first stripping the FC off? Any issues, or no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just wiped the FC off with a rag that had LPX on it as I would with any CLP during cleaning. Then applied the LPX where needed. No issues.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
George Fennel knows his stuff.  I have used Weapon Shield with confidence since its debut.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBu6q61G3M
View Quote

I wouldn't buy shit from that guy....looks like a carny
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
George Fennel knows his stuff.  I have used Weapon Shield with confidence since its debut.  

While I am not a fan of George  Fennel's methods, I do know the man as an acquaintance, and while his choice of attire and life-choices are not my own, and not typically what I associate with a professional engineer, he indeed does legitimately come by the title, and knows tribology as such. I have, and have used his products, and they work fine. In fact, he has been much more helpful to me than FIREClean from a financial standpoing (Gotten free WS samples, zip from FIREClean). That said, I think he is wrong about FIREClean, and FIREClean has worked better in some applications (AR/suppressed .22) than WS has.

At any rate, I think it's a bit of a low blow to make fun of the man due to his appearance without first posting a photo of yourself (full body), and telling us what YOU do for a living, so we can also judge your appearance vs. professional merit. Ya?

Also, I would note that he has radically changed in appearance over the years:
1995,Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock II at frame left

Know what I think? FWIW? The man played "The Suit" and is tired of it and at the point in his life where he's doing what he wants, and fuck you and my, everyone else's opinion of it, and I can respect that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The guy has multiple skull belt buckles I know guys that wear that biker/pirate nonsense. If some guy shows up at my house to snake out my toilet I'm not going to pay any attention to his rennaissance fair pewter skull armband, but if my doctor shows up for an appointment wearing one I'm going to think "WTF?" and wonder what is going on with him. Dig all that jewelry out for a public presentation you risk distracting from your message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I am not a fan of George  Fennel's methods, I do know the man as an acquaintance, and while his choice of attire and life-choices are not my own, and not typically what I associate with a doctor, he indeed does legitimately come by the title, and knows tribology as such. I have, and have used his products, and they work fine. In fact, he has been much more helpful to me than FIREClean from a financial standpoing (Gotten free WS samples, zip from FIREClean). That said, I think he is wrong about FIREClean, and FIREClean has worked better in some applications (AR/suppressed .22) than WS has.

At any rate, I think it's a bit of a low blow to make fun of the man due to his appearance without first posting a photo of yourself (full body), and telling us what YOU do for a living, so we can also judge your appearance vs. professional merit. Ya?
The guy has multiple skull belt buckles I know guys that wear that biker/pirate nonsense. If some guy shows up at my house to snake out my toilet I'm not going to pay any attention to his rennaissance fair pewter skull armband, but if my doctor shows up for an appointment wearing one I'm going to think "WTF?" and wonder what is going on with him. Dig all that jewelry out for a public presentation you risk distracting from your message.

Sorry, you quoted before I could go back and edit. I am not 100% sure that he has a doctorate in tribology, but he does have formal study in that area of a considerable amount.

I agree 100% with image and all that, sure, but I won't berate the man for his choices except to say that PR may not be his strong suit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah I probably would not have mentioned it, I thought this was the GD thread. I know smart guys who dress like idiots and rich guys who wear thread bare suits.
View Quote

The most well off people I've personally met (Black Card holders, people who have $1/2 mil racecar hobbies as "advertising tax write offs", etc.) all have a sort of "stephen king" disheveled look about them. It's uncanny.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

While I am not a fan of George  Fennel's methods, I do know the man as an acquaintance, and while his choice of attire and life-choices are not my own, and not typically what I associate with a professional engineer, he indeed does legitimately come by the title, and knows tribology as such. I have, and have used his products, and they work fine. In fact, he has been much more helpful to me than FIREClean from a financial standpoing (Gotten free WS samples, zip from FIREClean). That said, I think he is wrong about FIREClean, and FIREClean has worked better in some applications (AR/suppressed .22) than WS has.

1995,Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock II at frame left https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10632588_10203011439988711_5648631615142641699_n.jpg?oh=2f74ee4402fd0da9c1c999bc5f6b8d59&oe=5695BB0A
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11238974_10204476982826366_1554836333506752544_n.jpg?oh=9bb5a8f981a2b192c335d96931868a48&oe=569E4DE1
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10426291_10204025319295060_844979268004182747_n.jpg?oh=5c6bf92566359ce87a6d2ec51b3d7711&oe=56A0C7D0
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11863296_10205038361260476_1355990891092725930_n.jpg?oh=db573c6b34aee97fd43647b3e4f852a1&oe=568BFEA8

Know what I think? FWIW? The man played "The Suit" and is tired of it and at the point in his life where he's doing what he wants, and fuck you and my, everyone else's opinion of it, and I can respect that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1995,Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock II at frame left https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10632588_10203011439988711_5648631615142641699_n.jpg?oh=2f74ee4402fd0da9c1c999bc5f6b8d59&oe=5695BB0A
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11238974_10204476982826366_1554836333506752544_n.jpg?oh=9bb5a8f981a2b192c335d96931868a48&oe=569E4DE1
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10426291_10204025319295060_844979268004182747_n.jpg?oh=5c6bf92566359ce87a6d2ec51b3d7711&oe=56A0C7D0
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11863296_10205038361260476_1355990891092725930_n.jpg?oh=db573c6b34aee97fd43647b3e4f852a1&oe=568BFEA8

Not only do I know who STLE is, I have even attended one of their meetings.  (I went with a coworker)  I could join and get my employer to pay for it.  Getting certs from them might take some more work though.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I am waiting for a lube that is a heart healthy type vegetable oil to increase my firearms life and for sure it must have the certified organic label before I would consider it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Shot 100 rounds of Browntip today (hot/filthy stuff). Anyway, the upper wiped out very easiler with a paper towel down to the anodizing. With the MPRO7 LPX, I had to scrub for over a minute with MPRO7 cleaner, and a nylon brush. Night and day difference.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#18]
This really is starting to feel like nothing more than a sales ad, surprised it hasn't been moved to GD already.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
oops.

"According to every PhD who looked at the NMR results, FireClean and Canola oil appear to be "effectively” or "nearly” identical."

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
oops. "According to every PhD who looked at the NMR results, FireClean and Canola oil appear to be "effectively” or "nearly” identical."

View Quote

Science 1
Marketing 0

I'm reminded for the billionth time of PT Barnum.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#21]
So far, people who have put canola/rapeseed on their weapons report it does NOT work the same as FC. There is a good thread in GD going right now though that should be fun to watch develop!
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So far, people who have put canola/rapeseed on their weapons report it does NOT work the same as FC. There is a good thread in GD going right now though that should be fun to watch develop!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#23]
But seriously. Scientific evidence.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hrmmm...do you think bumblebees crawl everywhere they go? Science says they do...
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hrmmm...do you think bumblebees crawl everywhere they go? Science says they do...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one of the dumbest things I have seen in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What else is there to say really?  7 pages of supporting FC as some crazy unique thing invalidated with one link.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#27]
What makes this so golden, and part of why I like Andrew so much, is despite all this, he still says, repeatedly,
that it's a good gun lube and he's used it to good effect.  Just that it's overpriced and the marketing is
distasteful.  Most people would have gone full negative and shot it down as much as they could in every
way, but he seems as far as I can tell to call a spade a spade at every opportunity.  And he pretty
much always has as far as I can tell, for better or worse.  I dig that, it's pretty uncommon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What makes this so golden, and part of why I like Andrew so much, is despite all this, he still says, repeatedly,
that it's a good gun lube and he's used it to good effect.  Just that it's overpriced and the marketing is
distasteful.  Most people would have gone full negative and shot it down as much as they could in every
way, but he seems as far as I can tell to call a spade a spade at every opportunity.  And he pretty
much always has as far as I can tell, for better or worse.  I dig that, it's pretty uncommon.
View Quote

Which is my point...it works great. I really don't care about technical datum in light that it works amazingly well. I learned a long time ago that the lab isn't the real world, and when real world results happen, they are the end all be all. Looking at lab as superior to real world results is like saying guitar hero on your wii makes you a legit rockstar. It's laughable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Not what I get from it at all.
I get what I got the first time I saw it,
just now with proof.

I suspect we, as a species, invented science
and such because we are prone to seeing what
suits us.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Which is my point...it works great. I really don't care about technical datum in light that it works amazingly well. I learned a long time ago that the lab isn't the real world, and when real world results happen, they are the end all be all. Looking at lab as superior to real world results is like saying guitar hero on your wii makes you a legit rockstar. It's laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The technical data does matter to many people even if it doesn't to you. The data, new and old, proves FC is a ripoff. It is nothing more than canola oil, no special additives at all. The lab may not tell us how well it works on a firearm but it does tell the truth about what it is made of and that is the topic of this thread. Discussions of it's effectiveness at this point is just a way to distract from the negative lab reports.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Labs tell us a great many things that are put to considerable positive use in the real world. Dismissing the utility of science over gun lube is rather foolish.
View Quote

So...more labs.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What else is there to say really?  7 pages of supporting FC as some crazy unique thing invalidated with one link.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He must be getting one free ounce per post.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
WEll, you've convinced me.    

Fireclean is not a superior product for seasoning cast iron pans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But as a vegetable oil based product, it may be far superior for lubricating machinery:
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-247.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But as a vegetable oil based product, it may be far superior for lubricating machinery:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason to used a vegetable based lube is if you need it to be biodegradable.  I don't need or want that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's funny, because I brought that up awhile ago when this whole thing started.

I.E. Castrol R, which was used in high performance race cars.

Unfortunately, it only lasts one month or 1000 miles because it breaks down so fast.

Note how that study is from 1990... idea never really took off, huh?
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#38]
You say the idea never took off...
...and here you are bashing a product endorsed as the best product on the market by Magpul, KAC, and others, which is a spin off from the "idea that never took off"...

Also, vegetable based oils are being used more and more in industrial applications. Not less and less.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

...and here you are bashing a product endorsed as the best product on the market by Magpul, KAC, and others, which is a spin off from the "idea that never took off"...

Also, vegetable based oils are being used more and more in industrial applications. Not less and less.
View Quote
Just because your apples got sold as oranges through successful marketing doesn't mean they took off as apples in the context your argument was made in. LOL

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just because your apples got sold as oranges through successful marketing doesn't mean they took off as apples in the context your argument was made in. LOL  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether apples or oranges, they keep a suppressed gun running better than anything else I have tried.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Eight pages on ..................................Oil!
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Eight pages on ..................................Oil!
View Quote

That's nothing. Remember Desert Storm?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top