Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2015 10:29:19 PM EDT
I  have always used Hoppes #9 Solvent and Lubricant on my other handguns and rifles because that is what my father used, but since I just got my first AR and figured there is probably something better! What do y'all use? Also, when cleaning my rifle, do I need to take the buffer spring assembly apart to clean and lube it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Hops #9 will work just fine.  Buffer & spring need not be removed and cleaned / lubed but once in a long while.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
fireclean
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hops #9 will work just fine.  Buffer & spring need not be removed and cleaned / lubed but once in a long while.
View Quote

Agreed.  Hoppes #9 is still a great general purpose solvent.

For lube, the Hoppes stuff doesn't seem to hold up.  I use a 50/50 mix of synthetic motor oil and ATF.  Other guys use straight synthetic motor oil as it works well, is readily available, and cheap.  If you want "real gun oil" Slip 2000 EWL works very well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Agreed.

I use Hoppes and lube with synthetic motor oil or dedicated gun oil like Weaponshield

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
First of all it seems Hoppe's is fine to use, give your rifle a good cleaning and lube she'll last you forever, This is an awesome site for AR 15 lovers, but you'll find some folks go way over the top when it comes maintenance on their weapons.......sometimes you'll do more harm than good fussing an cleaning them all the time
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top