Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 3:44:05 PM EDT
What would be the best way to store any rifles in a foam padded case, WITHOUT having any dry foam spots on the rifles.

So far, I have tried...
Wax paper - it didn't work, dry foam spots where the wax paper rips.
Plastic bag -   become sticky after few months.

Please HELP!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Typically it isn't advised to store firearms in foam padded cases due to their ability to retain moisture and the greater possibility of rust.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
As above, storing a firearm in a foam lined or fleece lined case is a major cause of firearms rusting.

Also as above, the best way to store a firearm is in one of the special "hard" plastic bags made for that purpose.
These bags will not pass moisture or air like standard plastics will, and the vapor forces out all air and moisture and surrounds the metal with a vapor that positively prevents rust for at least 10 years.

If you MUST store in a foam lined case these bags are the only way to go.  That's how the military now store firearms.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I use these bags along with Break Free CO(Collector) or RIG Grease(depending on item/firearm) for firearms I store that will not be used for long periods, and for travel use where firearms my be in cases for a period of time in varying environments and/or weather.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-097
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-189
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-252

Otherwise I store my firearms in Stack-on lockers with rechargeable desiccants and fans circulating room air.
If you want something out of view put one of the smaller Stack-on lockers in a closet and set a small personal fan in the corner of the floor to keep air moving.

Beyond that I would never recommend storing any firearms, or knife in a padded/lined case etc.that makes direct metal contact.Main thing you need is temp control and air movement.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Before I got my safe I stored my guns in foam cases for several years with no rust.  In Florida.  6 blocks from the ocean.  In a non-climate controlled building.

I do wipe down al exposed metal with an oily patch as part of my cleaning and maintenance.  I always read on here how foam "traps" moisture, but I think that unless you are putting wet guns in the case the only moisture is going to be the humidity in the air when you close it up.  A coat of oil and/or a dessicant in the case should fix that.

Not sure about foam spot prevention.  If "where the wax paper rips" you mean gaps in the paper, you can get rolls of paper for masking at Home Depot etc that is pretty wide and should easily cover an entire case.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I stored mine in a cheapo rifle case (with foam sandwiching the rifle) for about a year and it came out with a foam pattern of surface rust. This was all in a small apartment mind you with a bathroom that had terrible ventilation and despite putting the rifle to bed with a good layer of oil it inevitably got some moisture on it. I think it really depends on the unique variables of each environment, no two environments are the same.

I've been trying to implement a rule to at least get them out every 6 months for a good wipe down, regardless of where they're stored (excluding the ones I shoot periodically as those have a more frequent maintenance schedule)

If you want it to survive long term then do what they did to my poor Mosin, dip it in a tub of cosmoline!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I use silicone treated pistol and rifle socks. After applying weaponshield or breakfree on the weapons I put them in socks then the safe. Then desiccant goes in. No rust problems and the socks protect the finish of the valued toys.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top