Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 11:03:44 AM EDT
Just wanted to make sure there isn't something I should not use when cleaning a nitride barrel?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry nitride is more corrosion resistant than the chrome used in most AR barrels, probably more resistant than stainless as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just wanted to make sure there isn't something I should not use when cleaning a nitride barrel?
View Quote

Nitriding is not a coating.  It is a process where the surface of the metal is molecularly changed so cleaner and solvents will not effect it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I recall reading somewhere here that Froglube could mess up the finish.  With the way Nitride is applied I doubt it but I am not testing the water.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recall reading somewhere here that Froglube could mess up the finish.  With the way Nitride is applied I doubt it but I am not testing the water.
View Quote

Harrison at ARP says that about all his 6.8 barrels...it will discolor the finish.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Harrison at ARP says that about all his 6.8 barrels...it will discolor the finish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I've read this as well on their website. I can't seem to find it at the moment!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
im still waiting on first ar to arrive and after reading the posts as well as watching you tube vids had gotten hoppes oil and bore cleaner but frog lube grease. this is the first post ive seen saying a nitride barrel may be different in that respect and just happens I had the barrel treated as I live on the water and wanted the corrosion resistance.

any recommended grease specific to nitride treated barrel to replace my frog lube with much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It's Bull-Frog products, not Froglube, that ARP advises against.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks

ps went ahead and got some mil-comm tw25 grease too just in case
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 14.5" middy nitride barrel from ARP and have been using Breakfree CLP after Hoppes bore solvent in the barrel.  I see no visible discoloration as of yet.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top