User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be as I was using a new Press Check Venture Polymer Beowolf mag. Never had this issue with a gen 2 Pmag or an IMI mag.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
deleted
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Carry and duty weapons get cleaned once a month or each time they are shot, whichever comes first. The amount of funk a handgun collects just riding in a holster is incredible.

View Quote

This

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my cleaning procedures.
If I look at my gun and go "this shit is dirty" then I'll clean it.

That's about it. I probably only clean my guns every 400 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of replies. I treat my guns and rifles like my vehicles, gas'ed and ready to drive coast to coast at any time. So cleaned after every range trip or outing. Mags clean and full, bug out bag prep'ed and ready.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Usually give a quick clean after each use.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I make sure the BCG is oiled up good before shooting, I run a bore snake through a couple of passes about every 150-200 rounds or so. I clean the BCG fairly good about every 400 rounds or so. That's about it. And that's after 8 years in the infantry. I cleaned the Army's rifles their way. I clean mine my way. Honestly, my ARs are the only ones treated like this, though. Kind of funny. The gun that was (is) considered to REQUIRE constant cleaning to be reliable are the only ones I don't keep clean and guess what... They're 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That pretty much sums up my relationship with firearms (thanks, Army!) These days, however, I don't  clean
them to pass a white glove inspection. That's a huge difference. My mantra is:

Clean, not immaculate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I clean every time I use it, thanks army.

That pretty much sums up my relationship with firearms (thanks, Army!) These days, however, I don't  clean
them to pass a white glove inspection. That's a huge difference. My mantra is:

Clean, not immaculate.

^This.

It's no use trying to change people's mind if cleaning is important to them. I've seen dirty guns have malfunctions and clean guns have malfunctions (more so on the dirty ones) However, I don't understand a lot of people who run their guns until it fails and then decide it needs to be cleaned. I don't understand why people keep their carry weapons or SHTF rifles clean,but don't bother cleaning the others. Maybe I need more guns so I only keep important ones or "My good ones" clean.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to clean guns.

Then I just paint my guns.

Don't have to wipe away anything after touching the gun any more.

Since they are ugly, I don't look at them.  I just use them like hammer and put them away.

May be I clean couple of times year.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I lube them when I think about it, other than that I just shoot em. I dont clean tham uneless I get some sort of malfunction. Except for my precision rifle but that is a different animal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to be OCD about it but over the years I've gone the other direction. I only clean them when the crud is really thick. The only thing I'm still fairly OCD about keeping clean is my EDC handgun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A lot of replies. I treat my guns and rifles like my vehicles, gas'ed and ready to drive coast to coast at any time. So cleaned after every range trip or outing. Mags clean and full, bug out bag prep'ed and ready.
View Quote

You change the oil then wash and vacuum out your car every time you get home from work too?  Even if you don't it's still impressive to top off the fuel every day.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Only reason I really see to clean is corrosion prevention and not allowing your rifle to ooze filth on everything. I typically pull an oily patch through the barrel after shooting, if its been over 100 rounds I'll probably get bored and clean the BCG. Otherwise I don't see the point. Pistols are the same, oily patch, and I clean when it gets dirty enough to start contaminating what it touches.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I only shower when people complain....
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Usually give a quick clean after each use.
View Quote

THIS.

1) Run a Boresnake thru barrel and chamber, light lube.

2) Take carrier out, wipe.

3) Take bolt out of carrier, align rings correctly, lube.

4) Light lube on firing pin retaining pin

5) Very light lube on firing pin.

6) Use air to clean trigger mechanism, light lube where needed.

7) Re-assemble and you're good-to-go for 3000 rounds, if the SHTF.

You never know when something bad can be prevented simply by checking
and lubing after every shooting session/trip.

Works for me.

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#16]
While I like things clean and looking good I am practical.

I actually enjoy cleaning my guns so when I have the time I clean them. Sometimes after a range trip I don't have the time before going again.

With my mil-srup guns that shoot corrosive ammo I always run some Ballistol through the barrel and bolt. Then I hit it with a bore snake or patch.

With ARs I like them clean but sometimes I don't get to clean them before heading back to the range. I usually do a quick clean with bore snake, wipe everything down and lube.

When I have the time or it has been a few trip I do a deep clean and inspection. I disassemble the BCG, clean and inspect the parts. Then I start with bore snakes for the upper and then move to patches until they come out nearly clean. The lower I use some Gunscrubber and then lube the trigger. I wipe the exterior with RemOil just to make it look nice and give it some rust protection.

Some of my "take apart, clean, inspect and lube" habits come from my years as a racer. Every week we would prepare the car. Also 30+ years in the automotive service business I have found that people who service their vehicles regularly seem to have less major failures than those who don't.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: Also 30+ years in the automotive service business I have found that people who service their vehicles regularly seem to have less major failures than those who don't.
View Quote

You'll never know what's wearing out if you never look at it....
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Also 30+ years in the automotive service business I have found that people who service their vehicles regularly seem to have less major failures than those who don't.

Exactly why I bore snake sometimes and others I do a deep clean, disassembly and inspection.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#19]
For the most part, I clean my stuff after I go to the range. If I am going a more than one day in a row I wait until the last day.

Usually I shoot about 350 rounds a trip. If I do a lot less I will skip it.

My cleaning consists of stripping the gun down, wiping off all the parts, and re-lubing it up. My main thing is to look over the parts to make sure nothing is broken. I make sure I look over the ejectors and clean their channels out.

It has been years since I punched a bore. Every so often I spray some brake clean down the barrels. If I think about it I will spray some carb clean through the gas tube.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Bullets make them self cleaning
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't normally but something got in me and I cleaned the 4 pistols I've shot this last week...

One of them I cleaned before going and then again afterwards... Upsetting.

It's ok though, I still have a few rifles I haven't cleaned in months barrel down in the safe...
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like so I end up cleaning guns that haven't been fired since the last cleaning. I just like to hold the components in my hands and wipe them down. I talk to them sometimes as well. Is that bad?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually just strip em down, wipe the crud off with a rag, snake the bore, the relube.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 2:41:28 AM EDT
[#24]
After each shooting session of more than 100 rounds, I'll run a few patches with Hoppe's #9 through the barrel,
then wipe off the other parts and do a typical field strip cleaning.  

With more rounds down the pipe and carbon build up, I'll do a more thorough cleaning job and clean off the carbon from the bolt/carrier assy.

That's it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends on the gun, but most of the time after a range trip, especially if the guns got wet I'll go and re-oil them, not necessarily a detailed strip and clean. Some guns are much more finicky than others... Also the Mosin, clean out the corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I always clean after each shooting.But iam anal about it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#27]
When does this mantra become excessive?
View Quote

I used to do it...until I tested thing for myself with not cleaning,. It was HARD. But after that I realized guns with some dirt are FINE. I'll shoot handguns 2 or 3 range trips before I clean them now. Rifles 2 or 3 times. The ONLY gun that gets cleaned is my carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#28]
If it gets fired it gets cleaned afterwards.  If you care enough to buy quality firearms you should care enough to take care of them.  They may save your life one day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Depending on the gun usually after range for all my 22's, AR sometimes after range some times not, all my revolvers I would at least clean the cylinders after shooting them and others when I felt like spending time on cleaning them. Mainly depended on how much time I spent at the range and how my all my 22's needed to be cleaned. If to much on the 22's then didn't get to the others until the next two or three times at the range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If it gets fired it gets cleaned afterwards.  If you care enough to buy quality firearms you should care enough to take care of them.  They may save your life one day.
View Quote

This. I fired 150 rounds through the AR, about 100 through the M&P9 and maybe 50 through the P220. They all got cleaned when I got home.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I have run the spectrum from detail strip after every outing (thanks army) to run it until it quits working (thanks USPSA).  Highpower matches taught me that you never want the first rounds down the tube after cleaning to be in a match, so now I have a system:
Pistols don't get cleaned until they stop working or if I am doing some maintenance on them (springs, shock buff, etc).
Rifles get cleaned prior to a match, then taken out and zeroed/checked (shot) before the match.  They only get cleaned after the match if I got rained on.
Semi auto shotguns follow pistol rules, they get cleaned when they stop working.
Pump shotguns occasionally get some oil after rain, but never cleaned.
As I sit here I can think of at least a half dozen guns that I have owned and shot for at least a year that have never been cleaned...
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#32]
CCW gets cleaned after I shoot it, so I got another one to shoot and not have to clean it

rifles get cleaned when something goes wrong and it doesn't work.

several have 1000+ rounds half of which were suppressed and haven't been cleaned in a while.

I did clean my 12.5 and discovered blown gas rings. replaced rings and cleaned bcg - good as new.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I have been trying out bore snakes. Not sure I like them. When I do not have time to do a full strip and clean I am using bore snakes.

I like to strip and clean my guns. For one I kind of enjoy cleaning them.

Secondly I like to inspect and make sure nothing is broken, worn or missing.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I barely clean my guns. When I do clean them I just do a quick clean up not a detail clean.
View Quote

This.

Keeping them lubed is far more important than keeping them "clean."

If I had to clean them after every range trip, I wouldn't take range trips.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think of my rifle just like any machine. The cleaner it is, and the less junk and carbon it has on the moving parts....the better. The amount of time it takes to clean a rifle is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

If you are going to pay a ton of money for a nice RELIABLE optic, strong RELIABLE parts, and a RELIABLE rifle.............why not make sure your entire setup is as RELIABLE as it ca be by keeping it lean and lubed?

View Quote

This is the most common misconception about how machines work.

Do you have the guys at Jiffy Lube completely disassemble your engine and shine every nook and cranny with each oil change?

No, you don't. Machines don't need to be deep cleaned in order to function.

The purpose of oil is to reduce friction, which thereby reduces heat. Reducing heat in a machine made of metal will vastly improve it's service life. The other purpose of oil is to transport debris away form the moving parts so that metal (or plastic) parts that interface can move without interference. As long as the surfaces that make contact with each other are smooth (free from defects) and lubed a machine can run almost indefinitely.  

Probably the biggest myth about the AR platform is that you need to keep it shiny on the inside for it to function. It's been debunked over and over and over again,
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you have the guys at Jiffy Lube completely disassemble your engine and shine every nook and cranny with each oil change?

The purpose of oil is to reduce friction, which thereby reduces heat. Reducing heat in a machine made of metal will vastly improve it's service life. The other purpose of oil is to transport debris away form the moving parts so that metal (or plastic) parts that interface can move without interference. As long as the surfaces that make contact with each other are smooth (free from defects) and lubed a machine can run almost indefinitely.  

Probably the biggest myth about the AR platform is that you need to keep it shiny on the inside for it to function. It's been debunked over and over and over again,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think of my rifle just like any machine. The cleaner it is, and the less junk and carbon it has on the moving parts....the better. The amount of time it takes to clean a rifle is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

If you are going to pay a ton of money for a nice RELIABLE optic, strong RELIABLE parts, and a RELIABLE rifle.............why not make sure your entire setup is as RELIABLE as it ca be by keeping it lean and lubed?

If you are adverse to a thorough cleaning then yes just do a quick clean and keep it lubed.

Some of us actually enjoy cleaning and inspecting our guns.

I actually get more enjoyment out of reloading, cleaning, maintaining my guns and watching my son and his friends shoot than I do shooting them myself.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you are adverse to a thorough cleaning then yes just do a quick clean and keep it lubed.

I actually get more enjoyment out of reloading, cleaning, maintaining my guns and watching my son and his friends shoot than I do shooting them myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

My point is that guns don't need to be sparking clean in order to function, so long as the contact areas are lubed.

I think I can further make two more points:

1) If a guy doesn't like detail cleaning his guns, but is told he must do so after each and every range trip and therefore doesn't shoot enough to be proficient then that's a problem. Folks need to realize that they can oil their guns to keep them functioning.

Here's an example. TN-MadDog said this on page 1 "I used go by the rule of never let the sun set on a dirty firearm.
Got to where I was not going shooting because I knew I would not have time to clean them that day.
Finally said to hell with it and got over it.
I clean when I have to.
I do make sure all unfinished metal has some anti corrosion product on it. I hate rust."

Fortunately for him he broke out of his mindset and he probably trains more than if he hadn't come to that realization. I think some guys don't break that mindset and therefore forgo a good training regimen.

2) If you carry a gun for self defense that will not function unless its sparkly clean then that's not a very good choice of EDC weapon.

The bottom line is that some guys like cleaning guns, like washing their sports cars on Sunday. That's not a problem. I think it only becomes an issue when guys that don't enjoy cleaning guns don't train because they don't want to clean the guns afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.

My point is that guns don't need to be sparking clean in order to function, so log as the contact areas are lubed.

1) If a guy doesn't like detail cleaning his guns, but is told he must do so after each and every range trip and therefore doesn't shoot enough to be proficient then that's a problem. Folks need to realize that they can oil their guns to keep them functioning.

Here's an example. TN-MadDog said this on page 1 "I used go by the rule of never let the sun set on a dirty firearm.
Got to where I was not going shooting because I knew I would not have time to clean them that day.
I clean when I have to.
I do make sure all unfinished metal has some anti corrosion product on it. I hate rust."

Fortunately for him he broke out of his mindset and he probably trains more than if he hadn't come to that realization. I think some guys don't break that modest and therefore forgo a good training regimen.

2) If you carry a gun for self defense that will not function unless its sparkly clean than that's not a very good choice of EDC weapon.

The bottom line is that some guys like cleaning guns, like washing their sports cars on Sunday. That's not a problem. I think it only becomes an issue when guys that don't enjoy cleaning guns don't train because they don't want to clean the guns afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

My point is that guns don't need to be sparking clean in order to function, so log as the contact areas are lubed.

I clean when I have to.

Fortunately for him he broke out of his mindset and he probably trains more than if he hadn't come to that realization. I think some guys don't break that modest and therefore forgo a good training regimen.

2) If you carry a gun for self defense that will not function unless its sparkly clean than that's not a very good choice of EDC weapon.

Absolutely. If you do not enjoy cleaning your guns then just keep them oiled.

I am with you, if you gun has to be sparkling clean to function then that is not a good choice of a gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I clean between shots.  After all, I may have to depend on this rifle.  Better safe than sorry.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I have cleaned my 9mm 1911 one time since I bought it.  I just took it to the range for the tenth time on Saturday.  It is still dirty.  So is my 1911 .45.  It is probably been to the range three times.  My Kimber rimfire has been cleaned once since I bought it and probably has ten range trips on it.  

I have to wipe down and quick clean rifles that I shoot with a can.  They get dry and filthy pretty quickly.  Probably every two range trips.  

Luckily, I don't have to stand for inspections anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i clean between range visits. not because i think the guns (rifles/pistols) need to be cleaned to function properly the next time, but because i enjoy breaking them down and cleaning them, almost as much as i do shooting them
View Quote

Me too, it's like visiting an old friend. You clean everything, lube everything, generally check out wear patterns, then put it away.

Dad taught me years ago, "You shoot it, you clean it". The military reinforced that. I don't try to make the thing sterile like in Basic, but I want my weapons clean and I want to know what's going on inside.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I clean every time I use it, thanks army.
View Quote

This.  I feel like I am slacking when I don't clean even after just a few rounds down the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#43]
If I shoot it, I clean it.  If I handle it (like showing it to someone) I wipe it off with an oily rag (no rust on my guns to blame on safe humidity, soft gun case moisture, spider shit, etc.) before putting it away.

My dad had a lot of chainsaws, weed eaters, hand tools, etc.  His habit was to insure they were ready for use when needed.  He did that by making sure the gas tanks and oil tanks were full when he put them away.  If, during use, he felt the chain was getting dull, he sharpened it before he put it away, not when he got it off the shelf to use.

We were the same with guns.  We cleaned and wiped them down when we came home from hunting, not when we got ready to go hunting.

If I have to grab a gun to use for serious business it is clean and lubed and will run for a good while without issues.  The older I get, the less able I am to grab a gun and rucksack and leave by the back door and maybe not come back, but the gun is still ready.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I generally only clean when accuracy or function is compromised. Unless it is a carry gun then it gets cleaned when its dirty.....

Until i started shooting suppressed. Now I have to clean all the time

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I also clean mine every time after shooting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#46]
"I clean my guns after every visit to the range"

Funny guy!
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Me too, it's like visiting an old friend. You clean everything, lube everything, generally check out wear patterns, then put it away.

Dad taught me years ago, "You shoot it, you clean it". The military reinforced that. I don't try to make the thing sterile like in Basic, but I want my weapons clean and I want to know what's going on inside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i clean between range visits. not because i think the guns (rifles/pistols) need to be cleaned to function properly the next time, but because i enjoy breaking them down and cleaning them, almost as much as i do shooting them

I'll 3rd this.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I always clean all of my guns -- bolt-action or semi; vintage or brand-new -- every time I use them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Silly waste of time and exposure to hazmat.  Yes, my DIs taught me different. Yes, I learned to think for myself.  No, my guns don't malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top