Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2015 2:34:10 PM EDT
My boresnake ripped and got stuck down by my compensator.  I was only able to get it out by pulling it reverse back up through the barrel.  This isn't going to cause any damage to a Melonited barrel by going in reverse; right?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Not at all, the melonite treated barrel is much harder than the brass brushes inside the boresnake.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You got lucky.  Make sure there's no little bit left stuck in there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
No, pulling it out in reverse will cause no damage.

The only reason its recommended to pull the snake or patches outward is to match the path of the bullet, and so youre not pulling all that fouling into your chamber
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
A copper jacketed bullet comes ripping out of there at 2700 fps... trust me... a bore snake (or brush for that matter) will NOT harm your barrel.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A copper jacketed bullet comes ripping out of there at 2700 fps... trust me... a bore snake (or brush for that matter) will NOT harm your barrel.
View Quote

The brass bristles going the opposite direction aren't going to imbed in my bore or anything; right?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If it caused damage you needed a real barrel any way.For something better than a boresnake check out  the Otis RipCord.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it caused damage you needed a real barrel any way.For something better than a boresnake check out  the Otis RipCord.
View Quote

I have an Otis kit, but the little brass end of the cord is too wide to fit through my newly installed BCM Mod 0 comp :(.  I've since tried a new snake, and it fits okay, but I think the narrow comp diameter might have been what caused the end of the snake attached to the black pull-through cord to rip and become untapered in my original post.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Hoppes bore snakes recently changed from a nice rope end to a thin string.  We had several rip on first use.

Junk now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hoppes bore snakes recently changed from a nice rope end to a thin string.  We had several rip on first use.

Junk now.
View Quote

How do you get em out?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
You need to get a Otis ripcord. You will not break those like boresnakes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you get em out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Junk now.

How do you get em out?

I would get a wooden dowl rod, about the size of the bore and hammer it out if it is the brass brush. Soft enough to not damage the bore.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would get a wooden dowl rod, about the size of the bore and hammer it out if it is the brass brush. Soft enough to not damage the bore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Hoppes bore snakes recently changed from a nice rope end to a thin string.  We had several rip on first use.

Junk now.

How do you get em out?

I think wood is generally advised against in the boresnake disaster threads.

I have the older style .22" boresnake, and the newer "Viper" 9mm.  Both seem to work well, but may Allah help me if I ever get them mixed up.  Has the Viper gone to a thin string?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top