Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 2:26:01 PM EDT
I have been using KrazyGrease for my road bikes bearings.  I tried some environmentally friendly grease I purchased at the shop and it heated up and drained out during my first summer of cycling.  I replaced the steel bearings with ceramic and decided to use KrazyGrease due to its ability to outlast most bearing grease by 10x.  The friction reducer used in KrazyGrease is called Permalon (not to be confused with Permalon plastic liners etc.)  It's used in high speed gear boxes in aviation jet-powered applications.  You can order it an any number of mediums from small tubs, grease gun tubes, and buckets..  I still use the environmentally friendly lube for all of my bike's chain and exterior surfaces because it doesn't smell, stain, and potentially contaminate the bikes surroundings.  KrazyGrease is thick, has a strong smell, and is green, so that makes it a bad option for external coatings. Anyway:  I check the MSDS on the KrazyGrease and it isn't exceptionally toxic unless ingested, which the same can be said for most petro-based lubes which contain benzene etc.  I talked with a local marine owner and he said KrazyGrease lasts significantly longer than other marine grade greases he has used, and my bearings are going on 5 years since I greased them.  I'm thinking if you applied the grease in moderation on high friction internal components, especially effective for semi-auto pistol frame rails, this stuff could have potential for non-dusty environments.  If anyone has used this on their gear I would like to hear about it.  According to the MSDS, It cooks off at 500-550 degrees so barrel applications are probably not an option, but who puts grease on their barrel anyway?  I figure if permalon keeps gears from self destructing at 30k+ rpm if must be good stuff. I'm willing to test it out and give results if there is an interest?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly have never heard of it, but it sounds like decent stuff. I've had good luck with the Be Ray products such as their 'tub of grease' which is aluminum based. I might have to look into this krazygrease, though.
Forgot to mention, the reason there are so many types of grease is because every application is different. In some cases, a ton of research goes into a product even though a different product will work, just not as well. It can make a person's head spin when they start to scrutinize the differences.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Now to test it out!  Okay this clears up some things in my mind:

With
regard to using Krazy Grease on firearms.  We do not sell our
"Permalon” clear additive as an "ala-carte” item.  Krazy Grease is
basically a two component product.  The green carrier portion is a
Lithium Complex Grease which is 80% of the product by volume.  The other
20% is an engineered polymer called Permalon which is what gives Krazy
Grease its Krazy water-proofing characteristic.

Krazy
Grease can be used for this application no problem.  All you do is
apply the Krazy Grease to the exterior of the weapon.  Then rub it off
until you cannot see the green (this can be done quickly).  What is left
is a clear almost permanent coating of Permalon which seals the metal
surfaces and prevents rust from ever forming.  

I
applied Krazy Grease to the exterior of my shotguns and rifles
approximately 15 years ago and the coating is still 100% in tact with no
rust or pitting ever having been formed.

You
could also package a companion product for Golf Clubs.  A "rubbed-on”
coating of Krazy Grease on the face of a driver will take all of the
slice out of your tee shot and, in may cases, result in adding 3 to 5
yards to your drive.  Obviously this is not sanctioned by the PGA but
for casual golfers it could be of interest.

Please let us know if you require additional information.

The Krazy Grease Advisor

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Voodoo,

Good info.  After reading the Krazy Grease's reply I'm thinking it may be a great storage preservative and operational internal and external lube.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to grab some. It's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Voodoo,

Do you want a black Krazy Grease Flexfit ballcap? PM your address, I'll ship it out snailmail.

Core
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine came in, it seems to be some good stuff.  It doesn't smell to high hell. I rubbed it in, then used a microfiber to rub it into the metal (outside of a hand gun and barrel by the way) it left a film on there.
Rinsed my hand in water, and it beaded up, with no wash off.  I used some Dawn dish detergent and I could still feel it a little bit.

I'm going to like this stuff on the rails and etc of the bolt and cam pin. Time will tell though on the range.  

Mine came with a free hat as well, gave it to my son.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll have to grab some. It's worth a shot.
View Quote

agree, sounds interesting
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool beans.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top