Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2014 8:19:56 PM EDT
For some unknown reason I tried Eezox when I was trying to get some crud out of a 1911 barrel, and it worked great. I had previously used bore cleaner which just didn't dissolve/remove much if anything. Then I fired a new barrel with 50 rounds and tried the Eezox again - it instantly cut the carbon and copper residues. I'm using a stiff nylon bore brush (IOSSO) wrapped in a small patch wet with Eezox. First pass comes out black, and subsequent passes with new patches get cleaner and cleaner. It is good to let it stand for a few hours then make another pass, finishing up with a dry patch. I'll try it on an AR bolt tail next, and maybe an AK piston head.
I've been using Eezox for many years but never thought of it as a bore cleaner, but it really worked. The good part is this is a one-step product as it leaves lubrication and corrosion protection behind.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If your patches are coming out black you're not removing any copper fouling. You want blue or at least some green.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I love Eezox, as it dries to a film. CLP stays way too runny for my tastes.
I'm not sure were I saw the thread (I think there is a youtbe on it also), but CLP brand Breakfree was a better cleaner, while Eezox turned out to be a better lubricant/protective barrier. Eezox far outlasted CLP in the salt spray tests. ALL cleaner/lubricant/protectant products are a COMPROMISE. It is not possible for ONE to do everything equally as well. Breakfree leans towards the "cleaning" end, and Eezox leans towards the "protectant" end.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Regardless of what its supposed to be, and I am very familiar with its properties, Eezox does function very well as a bore cleaner. It does not contain the substance that turns copper traces green (probably ammonia) but the copper is gone. Hey, try it yourself rather than sitting there pontificating about what you think you 'know'.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Regardless of what its supposed to be, and I am very familiar with its properties, Eezox does function very well as a bore cleaner. It does not contain the substance that turns copper traces green (probably ammonia) but the copper is gone. Hey, try it yourself rather than sitting there pontificating about what you think you 'know'.
View Quote

Huh? Yeah, I'm quite familiar with it myself. I never said it wasn't a cleaner (reread). I said CLP's are a compromise and none do it ALL the best. They ALL clean, they ALL lubricate, they ALL protect (thus the CLP part). Some brands lean more toward one aspect than the other (obviously, as they are different formulas).
Smartassery not needed. Keep it to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to test the copper removing aspect simply get some copper remover like Sweets and see if the patches turn color on you.  Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
At the top please see where I said I had just used a copper-solvent bore cleaner twice. When I used the Eezox after the bore cleaner, I was astounded by the black patch and how much better the bore looked. I'm serious. I've been shooting for 25 years with all kinds of guns. I never tried Eezox in a bore before and was amazed at how it works. I've been too busy with Xmas and gigs to try it on those bolt tails and piston heads but I'll get around to it. If it doesn't pan out, you all will be the first to know.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For some unknown reason I tried Eezox when I was trying to get some crud out of a 1911 barrel, and it worked great. I had previously used bore cleaner which just didn't dissolve/remove much if anything. Then I fired a new barrel with 50 rounds and tried the Eezox again - it instantly cut the carbon and copper residues. I'm using a stiff nylon bore brush (IOSSO) wrapped in a small patch wet with Eezox. First pass comes out black, and subsequent passes with new patches get cleaner and cleaner. It is good to let it stand for a few hours then make another pass, finishing up with a dry patch. I'll try it on an AR bolt tail next, and maybe an AK piston head.
I've been using Eezox for many years but never thought of it as a bore cleaner, but it really worked. The good part is this is a one-step product as it leaves lubrication and corrosion protection behind.
View Quote

1saxman,

I used Eezox before myself and I love it! It's just like cleaning ones rifle with Breakfree. Unfortunately for me I can't find anyone in my area that carries the product. Back to typical bore solvent and Breakfree.

Impala
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top