Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2014 9:50:37 PM EDT
Hello all, I can usually get everything else pretty well, however, the locking lugs/extension and the area before the chamber (sorry I don't know all the terms) is the toughest for me. I know it'll still work if it's not perfectly clean, but if I'm going to do it I want to do it right.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
long q-tips work for me, after the chamber brush. Pipe cleaners work too.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone makes a star-shaped felt patch that you stick to the end of a bore brush. Cleans the real good.

Found a pic

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone makes a star-shaped felt patch that you stick to the end of a bore brush. Cleans the real good.

Found a pic

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLBlMBDCuX_5haERQR4muSfzfcd3PtfNpSXMEOychSWNJbDK1S
View Quote

Cool !! That looks perfect. I always thought this was the most important part of an AR to keep clean as everything happens in that area.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]

chamber brush.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Chamber brush or a 12ga bore brush
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownells sells this tool that is SLICK!

Sinclair Lug Cleaning Tool

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Im usually pretty gucci with my cleaning gear, but I havent went for the specialized cleaning tools yet. I can do it pretty quick with brake cleaner and long q tips.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Chamber brush and pipe cleaners, but there are certainly some interesting looking aftermarket tools.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
long q-tips work for me, after the chamber brush. Pipe cleaners work too.
View Quote

These are freaking great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301226635380?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Found a pic

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLBlMBDCuX_5haERQR4muSfzfcd3PtfNpSXMEOychSWNJbDK1S
View Quote

And these are freaking worthless.  Yes...I have tried them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found a pic

You must be a klutz, they work fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Chamber brush, solvent, & compressed air to clean it all out. Office supply stores sell cans of compressed air if you don't have a compressor.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The lugs are easy to clean. I think the OP is talking about the area just after the lugs, but before where the bullet casing seats. And I find it hard to get in there too. I can get a q-tip in there but only on the bottom part because the top/roof area can't be reached since you have the receiver in the way and you can't angle a q-tip from that direction. Chamber brush has proved pretty useless for me actually. Not sure why.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#14]
couple of squirts of cheap walmart spray lube to hose it out and cheap walmart cotton swab to dry.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Pipe cleaners, bore brush, and the blue bristled brush are sufficient.  Having a compressor is great to blow the chunks out, but if you dont have one its not an issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I use Qtips but its a real pain in the ass to get behind the lugs in the area closest to the front of the receiver. It take an awesome amount of elbow grease and the ability to bend Qtips like a boss.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#17]

This, on one of the cleaning rods, chucked up in a cordless drill.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

that is exactly how i clean mine just keep it wet with hoppes 9 and give it a few rotations in the drill
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry about it. A few turns of a chamber brush between wet patching the bore. Done.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

that is exactly how i clean mine just keep it wet with hoppes 9 and give it a few rotations in the drill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a chamber brush and a chamber mop but I find a pipe cleaner bent in the shape of the chamber works the best.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Long wooden q-tips.  I cut the heads off of a few and clamp them in a hemostat at a backward angle to get behind the lugs.  I sharpen the wooden end of one of the q-tips and use it to push a patch into the crevice around the barrel/extension.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top