Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:16:12 AM EDT
What is the overal best one piece cleaning rod for the AR? I want to use it for cleaning but also maybe as a squib rod if the need arises. What do you guys recommend without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The sort of "standard" among shooters is a Dewey polished stainless steel rod.
For the quality, price, and availability it's a top buy.
Some other shooters are now buying high end carbon fiber rods.

I would NOT use any cleaning rod as a squib rod.
A squib rod needs to be much closer to bore diameter, and should be screw-together sections so you can keep only a short section sticking out of the bore to prevent the rod from bending.  As the bullet is pushed out, you add more sections as needed.
Also the rod end should be shaped to fit the type of bullet.

The larger diameter and shaped end prevent the rod from getting off center and damaging the bore.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Tipton carbon rods.  No bending like the Dewey rods.

Hint:  Get a hard rubber stopper / cork at the hardware store, drill it, and slide it down the rod to the metal ferrule.  The metal ferrule can dent the crown if you don't.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hint:  Get a hard rubber stopper / cork at the hardware store, drill it, and slide it down the rod to the metal ferrule.  The metal ferrule can dent the crown if you don't.

View Quote

You are cleaning from the wrong end.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:11:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a Dewey and am 100% satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I shoot a lot of lever guns.  Even from the breech, that metal ferrule can do damage to the back of the receiver.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I shoot a lot of lever guns.  Even from the breech, that metal ferrule can do damage to the back of the receiver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true, I thought you were talking about ARs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will only use it in ARs
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-rods-amp-accessories/cleaning-rods/dewey-38c-12-sku234222038-5641-13156.aspx
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
another vote for the Tipton carbon rod.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer Dewey coated or stainless steel Dewey or Pro-Shot.

I'm not a fan of carbon fiber rods. They flex way too much.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer Dewey coated or stainless steel Dewey or Pro-Shot.

I'm not a fan of carbon fiber rods. They flex way too much.

lol. So which is it, guys?

For what it's worth, I just got a Dewey coated rod and yes... it flexes and bends A LOT. It was very difficult to get it started down the barrel because it kept bowing. I have a Tipton carbon fiber rod on the way to compare. I will be returning the one that sucks the least.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Best is in the eye of the beholder.
I use a SS rod.
I have no plans to use it to pound out a squib.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Bore Tech Bore Stix
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
FOLLOW UP:

So I now have a Tipton carbon fiber rod and a Dewey coated rod.

They both bend quite easily with any sort of pressure when trying to push a jag/patch down the barrel. The carbon fiber one bends more easily.

So to the guy who said the carbon fiber one doesn't bend, and to the guy that says the Dewey one doesn't bend, you're both contradictory.
Because they both bend and are a pain in the ass. Just goes to show you can't trust what people say on the internet.
Neither rod was expensive and it was a small price to pay to learn the truth. Both rods are well made and of high quality. The Tipton one seems to be a little better—marginally.

I have a solid SS rod, and it won't bend. But it does have the potential to damage the barrel if you use it wrong.

So take that for what it is I guess.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I like tipton rods, have 4 of them, flex can be eliminated by offsetting the patch on the jag
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like tipton rods, have 4 of them, flex can be eliminated by offsetting the patch on the jag
View Quote

lol can't offset a brush...
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FOLLOW UP:

They both bend quite easily with any sort of pressure when trying to push a jag/patch down the barrel. The carbon fiber one bends more easily.

So to the guy who said the carbon fiber one doesn't bend, and to the guy that says the Dewey one doesn't bend, you're both contradictory.
Because they both bend and are a pain in the ass. Just goes to show you can't trust what people say on the internet.
Neither rod was expensive and it was a small price to pay to learn the truth. Both rods are well made and of high quality. The Tipton one seems to be a little better—marginally.

I have a solid SS rod, and it won't bend. But it does have the potential to damage the barrel if you use it wrong.

View Quote

Bore Tech Bore Stix are caliber specific and won't bend if used correctly. Using the proper bore guide, jag/brushes, and patches will also help eliminate bending.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bore Tech Bore Stix are caliber specific and won't bend if used correctly. Using the proper bore guide, jag/brushes, and patches will also help eliminate bending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FOLLOW UP:

So you're implying that I'm using improper jags, brushes, and patches? Please tell me what the proper ones are then. :)

I'm using one of those blue nylon 5.56/223-specific brushes and have two different patch jags. One from Pro-Shot and one that came with the Dewey rod. Both seem to be the exact same size and shape are meant for the barrel size I have. Same thing with the patches. They are cut for an AR15 5.56/223 barrel. Offsetting the patch does help. But you can't offset a brush...
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So you're implying that I'm using improper jags, brushes, and patches? Please tell me what the proper ones are then. :)

I'm using one of those blue nylon 5.56/223-specific brushes and have two different patch jags. One from Pro-Shot and one that came with the Dewey rod. Both seem to be the exact same size and shape are meant for the barrel size I have. Same thing with the patches. They are cut for an AR15 5.56/223 barrel. Offsetting the patch does help. But you can't offset a brush...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FOLLOW UP:

I wasn't implying that you were using improper anything, just stating some things that can cause problems with rods. Using an overly long rod could also be an issue. Too big of patch can also cause problems, side spiking your patch can help this to some degree. Stainless is fine if your careful, bend it and it's toast.

Bore Tech Bore Stix are the best I have used. Not the cheapest but they are very nice.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I use the Otis cable. Works great. I go from chamber to the muzzle. Works every time. It too flexes alot but it's suppossed to
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use the Otis cable. Works great. I go from chamber to the muzzle. Works every time. It too flexes alot but it's suppossed to
View Quote

Cables, snakes and Nomex shoelaces have their place in the field, but there are much better options to use in the comfort of your home/garage. My guess is your barrels aren't as clean as you think they are.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#23]
+1
The bore snakes were intended to be a quick method of wiping the bore in the field when you couldn't carry a rod.
They were never intended to do a deep cleaning and won't do anywhere near as good a job as a rod and brushes.
Plus, with a rod you're not pulling the same fouling right back through the bore.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Cables, snakes and Nomex shoelaces have their place in the field, but there are much better options to use in the comfort of your home/garage. My guess is your barrels aren't as clean as you think they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree the snakes are best as  a quick field cleaner, but the Otis cable is really no different than a rod.  You still use brushes and patches.  Only differnece is you pull instead of push.  I've gone from Otis to mostly rods since sometimes it is a pain the thread the cable through (gets stuck in flash hiders) but functionally I don't think there is a difference.  techinically since you pull it can't really bend to contact the bore, and also you don't have to pull it back past the crown to remove the rod so if anything I would think the Otis cable would be marginally better than a rod....
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I broke my Tipton 1 pc CF cleaning rod yesterday. I put a jag and and .22 cal patch on it, soaked in solvent and pushed it through with a little difficulty. Went in a little later with a brush, with a little difficulty. Ran another wet patch through and then a dry patch. The jag/patch got stuck about half way. I pushed a little bit harder and then "SNAP"! The CF rod definitely bends too. I took a pair of vise-grips and tried to pull the piece out as there was a decent section still available to grab in the receiver. No go. That thing was stuck. I took my 2 piece .22 cal cleaning rod (with one of the female threaded sections open on the end and with a T-handle on the other end and was able to center it over the jag tip on the other end. Hit the T-handle with my hand a couple of times and the jag/broken cleaning rod came out. Thought I was going to have to take it to Gsmith but I got lucky. Not sure why it was so tight it was a small square .22 cal patch I use on my .22's. Anyway, wound up using a Viper Boresnake to finish cleaning and a Patchworm to finish it off. Need to find another rod that won't break and won't bend so much.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Coated Dewey here.
Does anyone use a bore guide? I love mine!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#27]
The Dewey coated ones I used to have all the coating kept coming off the rod so I switched to pro-shot SS micro-polished and it is a really nice cleaning rod.....Then just to try one out I bought a Tipton carbon fiber rod and it is a really nice rod also.....Seems as of late all I use is the Tipton rod.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the Pro Shot rods.  .22 and smaller caliber rods, especially longer ones, just tend to bend a bit with a tight patch.  I'd like to get a shorter rod to clean the AR's, and maybe a .30 cal specific rod for the few larger calibers I have instead of a do-all .22.

I have the Pro Shot pistol rod as well, and like that above everything I've used in the past.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Coated Dewey here.
Does anyone use a bore guide? I love mine!
View Quote

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I still have to put together a cleaning kit and was wondering if the Dewey breach rod guide would eliminate some bending.

http://deweyrods.com/wp-content/uploads/M16B.jpg
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Anything that helps support the rod will help limit the bending of the rod.
Plus a bore guide keeps dirty solvent and debris out of the receiver.

Another way is to pick rod jags and patches that aren't such a tight fit.
As example, my standard brass "button" type jags in .22 were simply too tight in my Colt M4.
I put them in a drill and used a smooth cut file to slightly reduce the diameter.
That along with better fitting patches pretty much eliminate rod bending.

Still another trick I use whenever possible is to PULL the rod instead of pushing it.
As example, on my M4 I put the rod down the bore and out the muzzle.  I attach the brush or a patch and pull it into the muzzle.  
Then I use a solvent pipette to give it a squirt of bore solvent and PULL it out the chamber end.
If you pull, the rod can't bend.
Even so, when pulling the rod I still use a bore guide to keep the receiver clean.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Pro-Shot solid stainless.  I got a shorter one for ARs, keeping the length to a minimum reduces flexing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...^^.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I broke my Tipton 1 pc CF cleaning rod yesterday. I put a jag and and .22 cal patch on it, soaked in solvent and pushed it through with a little difficulty. Went in a little later with a brush, with a little difficulty. Ran another wet patch through and then a dry patch. The jag/patch got stuck about half way. I pushed a little bit harder and then "SNAP"! The CF rod definitely bends too. I took a pair of vise-grips and tried to pull the piece out as there was a decent section still available to grab in the receiver. No go. That thing was stuck. I took my 2 piece .22 cal cleaning rod (with one of the female threaded sections open on the end and with a T-handle on the other end and was able to center it over the jag tip on the other end. Hit the T-handle with my hand a couple of times and the jag/broken cleaning rod came out. Thought I was going to have to take it to Gsmith but I got lucky. Not sure why it was so tight it was a small square .22 cal patch I use on my .22's. Anyway, wound up using a Viper Boresnake to finish cleaning and a Patchworm to finish it off. Need to find another rod that won't break and won't bend so much.
View Quote

I use round 1 1/4" patches offset a little bit on the tip of the jag on a CF Tipton one piece rod.  No problems.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 14.5" barrel (with 2" muzzle brake). I was using a 36" Tipton CF rod. Jag with 1 1/4" patches. Still very tight. But with the long length of the cleaning rod there was a lot of flex. I bought a 24" Dewey coated rod. Looks like it will work as the length is not too long and shouldn't flex as much. Also thinking of getting a couple of BoreSmith Jag Brushes to see how they work.
Jag Brush
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Guys you NEED  to use a bore guide. That is how to properly clean. And also do not pull ur brush back into ur barrel over the crown. Unscrew it. Brushes do most barrel damage by dragging over crown. I've used Dewey and bore guides on all my bench rest rifles. Awesome!!! The best way to clean and keep a quality barrel 100%
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Guys you NEED  to use a bore guide. That is how to properly clean. And also do not pull ur brush back into ur barrel over the crown. Unscrew it. Brushes do most barrel damage by dragging over crown. I've used Dewey and bore guides on all my bench rest rifles. Awesome!!! The best way to clean and keep a quality barrel 100%
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top