Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:48:58 AM EDT
I am in the process of removing all toxic chemical and trying to find a safer alternative to cleaning. I have found a good CLP being froglube and it seems to work well. Now I am moving towards the copper solvent and general cleaners that is similar to Hoppes #9 but safe to use.

So I came down to three products that I think are safe but have some general questions to see if anyone can answer it. The only MSDS I can find is for Froglube Solvent and like the CLP version, it seems to be 100% safe in every regard. However, froglube solvent doesn't seem to work very well with copper. At least during my tests I can't find anything different between the CLP and solvent in terms of cleaning.

I can't find a MSDS for KG 12 or Boretech and I can only go off the site and reading the label.

Bore Tech Eliminator https://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

Reading the site, it says it is 100% non-hazardous and 100% biodegradable. My question is if these two statements are true, then why does the bottle says that it can't be ingested? Now I don't plan to eat it, but I do plan to get it on my skin and get down and dirty with it. It works VERY well and I love it but why are these two statements conflicting with each other?

KG 12

This thing is confusing to understand fully. From what I can tell, the main advertisement is that it is 100% ammonia free. What is unclear is if this stuff safe for your skin or not? I read that this is THE best copper solvent and on top of that it is safe to use on any barrel. I like that fact but I am also searching for something that is safe on the skin and is non-toxic. I can't find a MSDS for it and while searching, I get conflicting information. On one it sounds like you don't want to be in the same room with KG 12 without proper ventilation or wearing a filter mask. Then in another, it sounds like it is safe to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I managed to get a response from the Boretech folks and they told me that their formula is 100% safe for people and getting on your skin. They print on the bottle that it's unsafe to drink only for legal reasons, not because it's toxic or anything like the other cleaners. No I am not planning to drink it. I just wanted a non-toxic cleaner since I want to get rid of all the nasty chemicals.

So I will be used Boretech to do cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a safe cleaner Slip 725 and Mpro7 both work MUCH better than frog lube solvent. I've used all three. But none of them will remove copper fouling.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I would contact the respective companies mentioned for specific MSDS and or product questions.  As for your question given the choices you gave I personally would choose the FL solvent.  I currently use FrogLube solvent and their CLP.  I have had great success so far using them.  FYI I have no connection to FL I just use some of their kit.  I will also say I still have and sometimes use my Hoppes #9 for any serious copper fouling build up inside of my barrels but will follow that up with FL solvent and CLP.  ETA content.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used Bore Tech Eliminator & Frog Lube Solvent and they don't do much of anything for the copper fouling. As such my Surefire suppressor mounts all had layers of fouling on them until I ran across M-Pro7 Copper Remover which is non-toxic.  Most of the issues comes from the layers of carbon and copper fouling. I never could seem to get my mounts clean as the ammonia based cleaners don't do a good job on the carbon and none of the CLPs or solvents would touch the copper. Now I used M-Pro 7 Copper Remover for each cleaning on the mounts and the bore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Frog lube solvent has the consistancy of water with a dab of dish soap. it really is borderline worthless.

Mpro7 and slip 725 have the consistency of water with more dish soap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would contact the respective companies mentioned for specific MSDS and or product questions.  As for your question given the choices you gave I personally would choose the FL solvent.  I currently use FrogLube solvent and their CLP.  I have had great success so far using them.  FYI I have no connection to FL I just use some of their kit.  I will also say I still have and sometimes use my Hoppes #9 for any serious copper fouling build up inside of my barrels but will follow that up with FL solvent and CLP.  ETA content.
View Quote

Yeah I have noticed the froglube solvent works somewhat well. It's unclear if the solvent is meant for continuous use or if it's just to apply the clp after which the solvent isn't needed any more. The bore tech seems like the best and I got the kg12 coming. If none of these work I'll try the mpro after a while or just go back to using harsh chemicals. Thanks.

I only got a response from bore tech which I updated my op with what they said. Froglube and kg haven't replied yet. Guess I'll have to play around and find what works. I seen the froglube dudes at gun shows in my area so maybe next time I'll stop by and ask. Before never paid attention to them thinking it was a gimmick.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah I have noticed the froglube solvent works somewhat well. It's unclear if the solvent is meant for continuous use or if it's just to apply the clp after which the solvent isn't needed any more. The bore tech seems like the best and I got the kg12 coming. If none of these work I'll try the mpro after a while or just go back to using harsh chemicals. Thanks.

I only got a response from bore tech which I updated my op with what they said. Froglube and kg haven't replied yet. Guess I'll have to play around and find what works. I seen the froglube dudes at gun shows in my area so maybe next time I'll stop by and ask. Before never paid attention to them thinking it was a gimmick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FrogLube's website advises it is a system (Solvent and CLP) to be used together so that is how I use it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Boretech Eliminator. You can also get their copper remover Cu+2 Copper Remover if needed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Bore tech eliminator.     It does nothing for copper.    I use Sweets 762 for that
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#9]
What are you cleaning?

Dish soap and hot water works as a pretty good "solvent" since most "carbon" is just super soft graphite left over from gunshot residue.  

In fact, I'd just use what ever you want to and wear nitril gloves.   The GSR is going to be worse than whatever solvent you use, and contaminate your "non-toxic" solvent as is.

As is often said, everything is toxic in the right concentration and volume.  That's why the bottle says not to ingest it.  Little skin contact, no biggy.  Straight shot to the guts?  Probably not good.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top