Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2014 6:32:16 PM EDT
I'm looking for a one-piece cleaning rod (in .308 caliber) that has a WORKING length of at least 44-inches, but does NOT exceed 50.5" TOTAL length.  

I ordered a Pro Shot 50" rod (thinking fifty inches was the total length), only to discover it was the WORKING length (my bad for not reading the description carefully enough), and the rod is 4-inches too long to fit in my Pelican case.  I see that J. Dewey makes both a 44" and 48" one-piece rod...but I cannot find ANYWHERE on their website if it is the stated measurement is total length or working length of the actual rod...(OR how many inches I will need to either add or subtract for the handle)

If anyone can help me, please advise ASAP.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Google Tipton Deluxe 1-Piece Carbon Fiber cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
My .30 cal dewey is 46 3/4" Overall length without any kind of brush or jag installed.  The plastic coated rod portion is about 43 3/4" and the actual length of the handle itself is about 3".
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 99% sure the length they quote is for the actual rod and does not include the handle, so you would have to add to get total length.

I have Tipton one piece Carbon Fibre and am very happy.  The Dewey coated rods have good reviews, but I worry that the coating could wear off and leave exposed steel.  Also the steel could potentially take a bend and then be ruined.

The ONLY gripe I have with the Tipton is that they are made in China, the Dewey's are US made.  Montana Extreme rods also sound excellent (coated steel) and are US made.

If the 50" was 4" too long, you should be able to use a 44" rod (handles should be same) and fit the case.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 99% sure the length they quote is for the actual rod and does not include the handle, so you would have to add to get total length.

View Quote

This.

44" is a pretty standard length, too.

Someone here is bound to have the rod you're considering, in order to confirm this for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top