Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 12:47:25 PM EDT
Okay, I had an interesting idea this morning looking at those little bike tire inflators that use CO2 cartridges... like htis:

Now picture something like this... except with a chamber-mop/brush at the end instead of a tire fitting.  And a small amount of a good CLP mixed in with the CO2.

Drop mag, lock bolt back, insert the device into the chamber, press the button.... compressed gas shoots the gross contaminants out of the muzzle and leaves enough lube to keep things running.  Whole operation takes a few seconds.

It's no replacement for a real cleaning, but it might keep a gun going until you can get back home.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you telling us? Go do a patent search.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My one critique is that it's rarely barrel fouling that will stop up an AR. It's usually excessive dirt/carbon in the BCG, upper receiver, or in the FCG in the lower.

The violent action of the bolt locking into the lugs in the receiver extension means that if it cycled previously, it probably is digging most of the crud out as it was fired.

I also see a slight potential if there actually was debris in the barrel, the high pressure CO2 blast forcing it into the gas port or gas tube, which could in theory lock the rifle up worse.

However, I like that you're thinking outside of the box, and think the overall concept has merit. Total freebie, you can have it if you can make it work, how about building the CO2 cartridge into a "cleaning mag" that blasts the whole action clean with CLP and high pressure CO2 when you slam it home?
View Quote

Okay, I gotcha.... how about a "T" at the end... chamber mop spraying a little in one direction, brush spraying a lot in the other direction back at the bolt face... ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Or an "L" spraying everything one way, and then turn it so you can spray where you want/need.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You know...Breakfree CLP does come in an aerosol can.  Same damn thing.  Or there is Breakfree Powder Blast which I use and works very well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know...Breakfree CLP does come in an aerosol can.  Same damn thing.  Or there is Breakfree Powder Blast which I use and works very well.
View Quote

I'm thinking smaller.... something that could fit in a grip or stock compartment.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Just use a boresnake (or some sort of pull-through) if you are only concerned about the bore.

Gross debris in the locking lugs is your biggest threat to an AR going down.

Frankly, when that happens, your best bet is gross irrigation of the locking mechanism.
Your canteen and plain old water might be your best friend in that situation.

The bronze chamber brush with the bigger stainless brush for the lugs works pretty well too, but I don't like that stainless brush anywhere near my gun unless its a true emergency.

I have no interest in anything that relies on compressed air on a two-way range.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks cool OP.  I have, in the very few occasions, just squirted some CLP on my bolt  and worked it into the carrier after some serious rates of fire.  However, you have a neat idea .
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm thinking smaller.... something that could fit in a grip or stock compartment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Most people carry a range bag.  You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Really?  Most people carry a range bag.  You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.... You know sometimes people actually go dangerous places and do dangerous things with rifles, right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Outers Boreblast Cleaning System used a CO2 cartridge to shoot a cleaning wad down the barrel of your gun
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah.... You know sometimes people actually go dangerous places and do dangerous things with rifles, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Are you one of those people?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the reasons our military always has the coolest shit (compared to everyone else) is because our civilians are allowed to tinker with this stuff as much as they like.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#14]
As others have said, focus on the upper reciever, and BCG. It's not something I'd carry on a patrol, but maybe in a vehicle with the extra ammo. I haven't seen anyone who walks around with enough ammo to mandate a quick cleaning in the middle of a gunfight. Worst case, you add a couple of drops of lube, rack the slide a few times, then insert the next mag. But if you are in a Defense, and are resulting ammo, it might be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Deleted, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Outers Boreblast Cleaning System used a CO2 cartridge to shoot a cleaning wad down the barrel of your gun
View Quote

There is also the Cleenbore SACS thats been around for over a decade now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay.... been "refining" the concept in my head a bit.

Short length of hose comes out of the gas/CLP cylinder, with a simple valve.

Hose come to a "T", about the same width of a magazine .. big brush on one end that fits over the bolt, smaller brush/mop on the other end that fits into the chamber.  Pressurized CLP sprays out of both ends.  

Lock bolt back, insert the Cleenzomatic, push valve, move brushed back and forth while the CLP sprays (this should be pretty quick, as I think velocity is more important than volume... the valve should be pretty high-flow).  Pull out the unit, insert mag, close bolt and get back in the fight.

The whole thing should be able to fit in a stock compartment or a row of MOLLE.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd never seen the SACS.... cool.  That's pretty close to the exact concept I was envisioning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link?  Cant find it on their website.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My one critique is that it's rarely barrel fouling that will stop up an AR. It's usually excessive dirt/carbon in the BCG, upper receiver, or in the FCG in the lower.

The violent action of the bolt locking into the lugs in the receiver extension means that if it cycled previously, it probably is digging most of the crud out as it was fired.

I also see a slight potential if there actually was debris in the barrel, the high pressure CO2 blast forcing it into the gas port or gas tube, which could in theory lock the rifle up worse.

However, I like that you're thinking outside of the box, and think the overall concept has merit. Total freebie, you can have it if you can make it work, how about building the CO2 cartridge into a "cleaning mag" that blasts the whole action clean with CLP and high pressure CO2 when you slam it home?
View Quote

+1. this is why there is such a big debate about piston vs DI. both have thier advantages and disadvantages.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top