Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 12:44:07 PM EDT
Break Free Powder Blast is a strong solvent which dries clean.  Has anybody used it on an AR15 bolt?  Thank you
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure you can, but don't let it hit any plastic parts as you never know if the plastic will react to it.  Oil it really, really well afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It will work fine on your bolt, just avoid plastic and painted surfaces.

I have noticed that spray solvents tend to just "dry-out" the carbon build-up without really removing much. I will spray with break-free CLP and let it sit for about 30mins. Then I'll scrub with a bronze brush, spray with solvent, and re-lube. I've have better luck this way then using spray solvents alone but, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you lastrights and mikev45.  Yes, it's my understanding this Power Blast melts plastic and rubber. It's worked good on the pivot areas of my folding knives.  I wouldn't "blast" the bolt near other parts.  Any concern about the bolt's gas rings?

In the meantime, I will let CLP soak on bolt 30 minutes and scrub with bronze brush.  I've not left CLP on anything that long before brushing and wiping it off.  Sounds like I'm going to learn more about the power of CLP :)  I clean the AR after every use so it's pretty clean.  I'm just noticing a hint of carbon build up on the bolt and want to address it.    

Thanks again
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Break Free Powder Blast is a strong solvent which dries clean.  Has anybody used it on an AR15 bolt?  Thank you
View Quote

I don't beleive it any thing bad if that's what your hinting. I use Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber myself for heavily caked on powder crud!!! It can't be any worse than that brand. Some people use automotive brake cleaner too and it seems to work just as well....and it's cheaper.

Impala
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, Impala.  I'm concerned that the powder blast could screw up the bolt.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I'm probably being over protective (other people use this AR besides me)
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Powderblast around here is $10 and Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner is $2.39 at NAPA.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
MikeV, I left the CLP on the bolt for about a half hour  and caked carbon came off right off with bronze brush...just as you said.  I'm understanding the penetrating power of CLP better.  Great stuff.  I'll leave the Power Blast for bigger jobs. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#8]
CLP is just a great all around chemical.  I have bottles and spray cans all over my gun room and in every range bag etc.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top