Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 7:12:27 AM EDT
Hello everyone, I have an internal debate going on and could use your guy's help since I'm very, very new to the AR world.
The two lubes in question are Husky Air Tool Oil and B'Laster white lithium grease.

Now, I couldn't find anything about the air tool oil in the archives, and if I remember correctly it's 'okay' to use WLG on the AR, but there are much better alternatives out there.

So... Husky or Blaster? Or 10w30?

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with your screen name.

I use 30 weight synthetic motor oil on rifles and bearing grease or froglube on handguns.

but I am no expert.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Clever

My main concern about the 10w30 is it really ran last time I used. I got some cheap-o paint brushes from Home Depot so maybe those can put JUST a light enough coat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using Mobil Full Synthetic 0W-40; long-wearing and doesn't seem to run as much as others I've tried.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with your screen name.

I use 30 weight synthetic motor oil on rifles and bearing grease or froglube on handguns.

but I am no expert.
View Quote

Was going to post ironic screen name is...
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Use oil.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Op

would it kill you to buy a bottle of gun oil and a tube.of grease from one of the popular manufactures ??

Take your pic and remember with grease just little dab will do ya !!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
i use motor oil. you could get different viscosity for the applicable months. i can see why people prefer grease but i have never used it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a large food saver bag and place your rifle in it with a gallon of wheel bearing grease.  Shrink it and then remove the rifle.  It is the only way to be sure.

There was quite an extensive amazon thread about such things.  J-lube may be a good solution for you, depending on how you plan to store your AR.

For all of the rest of us that don't try to reinvent the wheel, CLP according to the TM will do just fine.  For entertainment value, there is a search function and a google on this issue that has just barely been touched upon over the years.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate it.
The husky stuff also contains lead so... Big no no there since I like to get dirty cleaning my guns.
CLP/med viscosity oil it is, whatever is on hand.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm currently using Mobile1 (10/30), but will be switching back to either white lithium grease or Eezox pronto. I normally store my rifles muzzle up, but had to switch to muzzle down due to how easily the Mobile 1 was running out (was moving to rear of bcg, where it's useless). And I only use a finger applied film on only the rails, lugs, cam pin, and rings. I'll still store in my grips for emergencies, but I'm leaving the Mobile1 camp. Actually, Eezox was my favorite as it acted as an oil, but dried into a semi film and stayed put. Sucks... I really wanted to like Mobile1, as it's cheap and it's everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm currently using Mobile1 (10/30), but will be switching back to either white lithium grease or Eezox pronto. I normally store my rifles muzzle up, but had to switch to muzzle down due to how easily the Mobile 1 was running out (was moving to rear of bcg, where it's useless). And I only use a finger applied film on only the rails, lugs, cam pin, and rings. I'll still store in my grips for emergencies, but I'm leaving the Mobile1 camp. Actually, Eezox was my favorite as it acted as an oil, but dried into a semi film and stayed put. Sucks... I really wanted to like Mobile1, as it's cheap and it's everywhere.
View Quote

I have never had that happen, but I wipe it on and then wipe it off for a thin coat.

CLP drys out, Mobile one stays on.

Now let's talk about frog lube
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I use mmo, it eats carbon, lubes and smell's good.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Clever

My main concern about the 10w30 is it really ran last time I used. I got some cheap-o paint brushes from Home Depot so maybe those can put JUST a light enough coat.
View Quote

cure this by buying oil formulated for firearms. Everyone seems to have a fixation on lubes not designed for purpose. All oil is the same with the exceptions of synthetics. It's not the oil as much as the additives in the recipe to blend the oil for it's application.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

cure this by buying oil formulated for firearms. Everyone seems to have a fixation on lubes not designed for purpose. All oil is the same with the exceptions of synthetics. It's not the oil as much as the additives in the recipe to blend the oil for it's application.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clever

There is no need for a "firearm specific" oil. They're machines, not magical devices. There is already a plethora of machine oils available.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't use grease on an AR due to all the crud it blows back into the bolt/receiver.  

If you clean it every time you shoot it you'll be removing the grease and crud and reapplying grease every time.

If you don't clean it every time you shoot it the crud will build up in the grease.

At lease with oil that "runs" you can quickly reapply, even at the range or during a class and some of the crud will "run" out of the critical spots with the excess oil (not a real cleaning, but still removing some of the crud.

I use Mobil 1 as well.  Have been for the last 7 years or so.  No issues yet.

I do grease my M1, M1A and 556R but the stay much cleaner in the bolt/receiver areas than my AR15s.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wouldn't use grease on an AR due to all the crud it blows back into the bolt/receiver.  

If you clean it every time you shoot it you'll be removing the grease and crud and reapplying grease every time.

If you don't clean it every time you shoot it the crud will build up in the grease.

At lease with oil that "runs" you can quickly reapply, even at the range or during a class and some of the crud will "run" out of the critical spots with the excess oil (not a real cleaning, but still removing some of the crud.

I use Mobil 1 as well.  Have been for the last 7 years or so.  No issues yet.

I do grease my M1, M1A and 556R but the stay much cleaner in the bolt/receiver areas than my AR15s.
View Quote

Hmm. I never considered that. That's a good point!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Use LPX made by M-Pro.

They say LPX has the lowest Coeff. of friction ever.

Link
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Another Mobil 1 user here.  5w-30 and 10w-40 regularly.  I only use grease when building the rifle and for the buffer spring.  Grease on the buffer spring is not recommended by many here, though.

The Mobil 1 works well on my rifles.  I've not had an issue with it yet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Grease your Garand, oil your AR - pretty simple huh.
Slip 2000 EWL for me.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top