Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 6:35:04 PM EDT

what is your secrete ?  I personally use air craft paint remover from walmart automotive  and it works ok but you need a nylon brush, I seen a youtube vid where a guy sprayed  his gun with krylon and after it was all set up he then used _____ idk ____ and sprayed it on the krylon and the krylon ran off like water... not sure what it was
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner and a nylon brush.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Should take it right off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/JohnSmith6073/media/20140409_213939_zps93bs7jvv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/JohnSmith6073/20140409_213939_zps93bs7jvv.jpg</a>
View Quote

yup that's what I use
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Purple Power will remove most piss can paint jobs also. Use it full strength and wear gloves.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Acetone/wirebrush and man power.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Acetone/wirebrush and man power.
View Quote

This.  But ive never really needed the man power and only used a nylon brush.  It melts it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1.  Just make sure you wear eye pro and do this outside in the fresh air, safety first .  Sometimes this cleaner can also damage some types of polymers/plastics so be certain of the product you are applying and how it reacts before use.  Also for what it's worth someone further down in the thread mentioned using a wire brush. I personally wouldn't do that if you value the finish on your rifle's receivers and the barrel parkerization.  It will more than likely scratch it up badly.  Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1.  Just make sure you wear eye pro and do this outside in the fresh air, safety first .  Sometimes this cleaner can also damage some types of polymers/plastics so be certain of the product you are applying and how it reacts before use.  Also for what it's worth someone further down in the thread mentioned using a wire brush. I personally wouldn't do that if you value the finish on your rifle's receivers and the barrel parkerization.  It will more than likely scratch it up badly.  Edited to add content.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

brake cleaner didn't do shit.... waste of money on my end
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you sure it's a rattle can finish you're trying to remove? I have a hard time believing brake cleaner didn't do anything to plain old spray paint.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you sure it's a rattle can finish you're trying to remove? I have a hard time believing brake cleaner didn't do anything to plain old spray paint.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes I put that paint on with simple green and brown krylon paint
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Acetone and a cheap toothbrush helped me clean a 16 inch Stainless Steel barrel in under 10 minutes.

1. Soak it for about 10 minutes (that may even be overkill)
2. Start stroking, the paint melts off.
3. Wipe it down with a clean rag.
4. Run a dry patch down the barrel.
5. Done.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top