Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 3:55:04 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a 2, maybe 2.5, liter Ultrasonic Cleaner for reloading.

Anyone use one of these to clean your AR/handgun parts?

If so, have you had any luck? Which parts do you clean in it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The quality cleaners work very well at removing dry, stuck-on carbon, but less well on oily dirt.

I put all ar and pistol parts that fit in the cleaner, except for the pistol slides with tritium sights.

The cleaner does "chip away" at already damaged baked-on finishes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I use solvent tanks and ultrasonic cleaners extensively at work

The guns get wiped down with CLP to remove as much nastiness as possible. Then they go into the parts cleaner, which strips off the nasty CLP. Then they go in the ultrasonic cleaner for a 12 minite cycle, then anything remaining can get q-tipped off. Punch the bore at some point in there, lube everything up well, and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll describe how I use one to clean my 3-Gun AR that goes well over a 1,000 rounds between cleanings.

I got a cheap ultra sonic cleaner from Harbor Fright a year ago and love it. I disassemble my BCG and toss that in and let it soak in half Simple Green and water mix. After about a ten minute soak time I turn the unltra sonic on and let it start it's magic. Works really well to penetrate and soak the carbon. After my upper is clean I pull the BCG parts and wipe everything down with those blue shop paper towels. At this point the carbon just wipes right off the BCG components. Total cleaning time for my AR's is about 30 minutes. It really helps cut down on time and I only have to really concentrate on the upper.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll describe how I use one to clean my 3-Gun AR that goes well over a 1,000 rounds between cleanings.

I got a cheap ultra sonic cleaner from Harbor Fright a year ago and love it. I disassemble my BCG and toss that in and let it soak in half Simple Green and water mix. After about a ten minute soak time I turn the unltra sonic on and let it start it's magic. Works really well to penetrate and soak the carbon. After my upper is clean I pull the BCG parts and wipe everything down with those blue shop paper towels. At this point the carbon just wipes right off the BCG components. Total cleaning time for my AR's is about 30 minutes. It really helps cut down on time and I only have to really concentrate on the upper.

View Quote

30 minutes. Holy crap is that tempting.

Seems like I spend eternity trying to get mine clean.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a solution of Aqua Clean from Shooters choice and water.  And it just literally cleans out all the carbon on the bolt.  When I was putting a new handguard on it, I threw the upper in as well and just literally watched the crud fall out of it.  Though I would recommend using a coffee maker to get the water warm before you turn the heater on, it seems to make the cleaner work all that much better.   It also works better if you suspend the parts.  I just used some 550 cord and some 3M command hooks there and suspended it.  I baked mine to get all of the water off for about 20 min @ 200.  A can of compressed air works just as well from what I understand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top