Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2014 6:30:16 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been asked before but when I tried to search I got an error. How often should I lube my buffer spring?
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Never.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never.
View Quote

This. And the entire rifle only needs 3 drops of oil for lubrication after cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep a light coat of oil on it.  Just a light coat, doesn't need to run or anything.  It will prevent rust on the spring, and that spring does rub the inside of the receiver extension sometimes.  Not a lot of wear there, but won't hurt to have a light (just visible to the eye) coat of oil on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer a light coat of grease inside the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I little Rem Oil sprayed on when I do more than a bore cleaning (which is about every 1,000 rounds.)

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Occaionally when the lower gets a complete cleaning. Maybe every 3 years? I spray the spring and buffer with Breakfree CLP and then take a dry rag and wipe off the excess.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been asked before but when I tried to search I got an error. How often should I lube my buffer spring?
View Quote

Generally speaking you don't have too. Some people will lube the buffer to help quiet down the spring sound during the firing sequence. I admit I will every time I'm getting ready ffor a shoot but I don't flood the tube like some others. Perhaps about 4 drops of oil is all you need but as long as your spring moves freely then why bother?

Impala
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy some Lubriplate, coat the spring and forget about it...
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  I use aerosol lithium grease.  I don't reapply it often, maybe every few years or so?

If you're lubing your BCG heavily, when you store the rifle, some of that lube will migrate down onto the spring.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple drops of oil in my hand, pull the sping through my hand, then wipe the excess on the buffer before inserting them in the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I put a light coat of oil on the buffer and the outside of the spring but it doesn't need to be heavy.  I've seen people use grease, and that works.  I doubt anyone is going to put enough rounds through the gun without cleaning before it needs a heavy cleaning.  I've seen a M16 do 20,000 rounds in one day (not a joke) and the guys kept throwing CLP into it throughout the day creating a gunky mess.  I went to clear the weapon before we put it back in the armory and the bolt stayed to the rear without an empty mag inserted.  The reason was because there was so much gunky carbon in the buffer tube that the bolt just got stuck in there to the rear.  I can't imagine any of us would ever encounter this problem, so lube with whatever you want, I don't think it'll matter for the AR15.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]
A light coat of oil on the spring and the buffer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I spray lithium grease in the tube to quiet it.
Not necessary, but it works.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#14]
It is metal on metal.
Light coat of grease for spring and RE.
It does not get below freezing here very often.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I take either a patch or a rag with a very light coat of clp and wipe the spring down to prevent rust.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#16]
My theory on it is:

-If you AR will never get wet: no need
-If your AR will get wet: yes, it is steel and can rust so of course protect it
-Will it hurt anything or cause reliability issues: no

The key is that it does not need any sort of lubrication at all, but that it can require protection depending on the environment.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A couple drops of oil in my hand, pull the sping through my hand, then wipe the excess on the buffer before inserting them in the receiver extension.
View Quote

This is what I was taught.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#18]
A light coating.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#19]
TM 9-1005-319-10 says to clean the action spring with CLP, and then remove the CLP with a rag, but it does say to clean and lubricate inside the lower receiver extension with CLP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a few SMALL dabs of wheel bearing grease, just to cut the sproing noise, also on the engagement points of my FCG, and a light coating on the rails of the BCG, then a few drops of Mobil 1, on the FCG (pins and engagement points), BCG rails, and Bolt lube holes.
It make for a very smooth slick rifle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. And the entire rifle only needs 3 drops of oil for lubrication after cleaning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never.

Myth!

The M-16/AR-15 platform prefers wet, VERY WET!

Read up on the Filthy 14 by Pat Rogers, AND Larry Vickers DIPPED an AR in oil and proceeded to run it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Myth!

Read up on the Filthy 14 by Pat Rogers, AND Larry Vickers DIPPED an AR in oil and proceeded to run it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never.

Myth!

I disagree. It CAN run wet but too much lube does nothing but attract and hold onto dirt, dust, etc. A functioning rifle only requires a finger swipe of CLP or similar on the friction points. I don't even apply lube to the bolt past the gas rings, it will all burn off anyway. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#23]
i use this stuff in buffer tube and when cleaning magazines:
http://www.superslickstuff.com/lubricant/Super-Slick-Slick-Stuff.html
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I think I'll trust the Top combat rifle instructor in the country (probably the World) and also an ex-Special Forces operator who wrings out weapons for a living now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I run ARs and 1911s wet.  I run AKs and Glocks with only a "few drops" (or grease the AK......)

I'm not running an AR like I run a glock, sorry totally different weapons.  I think to many people are living in the world of loose tolerance, plastic guns these days and want to apply the same principles to tight tolerance, metal guns.  No.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I take either a patch or a rag with a very light coat of clp and wipe the spring down to prevent rust.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I'll trust the Top combat rifle instructor in the country (probably the World) and also an ex-Special Forces operator who wrings out weapons for a living now.
View Quote

Someone else probably cleans them for him.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering that Pat Rogers frequents these Forums, I'll be looking forward to his response to your slur.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#29]
To each their own...

Less is more.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I use the dry stuff their.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#31]

or

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Well all I can say is what works for me and my buddy,

I just recently built an AR with my buddy. Its his first (20" rifle length gas, M4 collapsible MOE stock)I was not watching him when he put the buffer spring in. I told him to "lightly" lube the spring. He put a handful of grease (Royal Purple High-Temp) in his hand like he was packing a damn wheel bearing. I was like "Dude, less is More". I had him wipe most off the spring. Well we went out right after we assembled it and to my amazement you could NOT hear that lovely Twang! I was very curious if it was the grease or his rifle length gas system. We run the same adjustable Magpul MOE collapsible stocks.  Same PSA buffer tube and spring. Long story short, I took my spring out and greased it (not as much as his) and its almost silent! Huge difference now. I for one will continue to lube my spring with grease. I'm running 16" carbine length gas, M4 collapsible MOE stock)

I have my wife's last few parts (barrel, lower build kit) on the way! I will have her use grease on her spring as well. Seems to make a difference. I am building a copy of my rifle for my nieces husband for Father's Day. I will let him decide but will let him know my Greasy Spring Theory....

Tony
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I put a light coat of Tetra grease on mine.  No problems, and I shoot it in frigid temps in the winter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Comics With Problems #25: Treat Your Rifle Like a Lady DA Pam 750-30 The M16A1 Rifle —Operation and Preventative Maintenance Circa 1969
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Comics With Problems #25: Treat Your Rifle Like a Lady DA Pam 750-30 The M16A1 Rifle —Operation and Preventative Maintenance Circa 1969
View Quote

Classic, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Classic, thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Classic, thanks!

I noticed GOOK used often when referencing fouling which doing a search I found in the Merriam-Webster is a form of (guck —oozy sloppy dirt or debris). I found it interesting due to that eras use in referencing Viet Cong soldiers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
...you could NOT hear that lovely Twang!
View Quote

This is a very common reason why people use grease on their buffer springs.   It makes it a lot nicer when shooting with amplified hearing protection.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I noticed GOOK used often when referencing fouling which doing a search I found in the Merriam-Webster is a form of (guck —oozy sloppy dirt or debris). I found it interesting due to that eras use in referencing Viet Cong soldiers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Classic, thanks!

Coincidence. Gook was an older term. Around the 1890s it was used to refer to low prostitutes. Or possibly the first use was in 1920. In Korea it was used by Koreans saying miguk when referring to Americans and likely was mistaken to mean, me gook.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I make sure the tube and spring are clean. Then I hose the spring and Buffer with Breakfree CLP spray and wipe off the excess with a papertowel ( The Scott's Blue rags) . Then install it .
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Same here.  I use aerosol lithium grease.  I don't reapply it often, maybe every few years or so?

If you're lubing your BCG heavily, when you store the rifle, some of that lube will migrate down onto the spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I store some of my AR's muzzle down and those I spray silicone into the buffer tube once a year. It keeps it quiet.

Some get stored muzzle up and those the extra lube tends to migrate to the tube...

Its because this is how I get all mine into my safe

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top