Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2010 10:00:37 AM EDT
Just got a Rock River Arms  NM A4 and want to know if it's really necessary to use a bore guide. I want to use a Otis cleaning kit because I've heard alot of good things about it. This is my first AR-15 and I just wanna take care of it. If anyone uses them what is a good brand? Thanks in advance !
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
welcome!

for me, no on the otis. some do ok with it. i never bought into it because of all the stuck patches i have seen. my gunsmith had two rifles in at once from different guys that jammed patches in the bore. i would get a dewy coated rod and chamber guide. that's what i use and works great.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site.

There is a section labeled "maintanance and cleaning" which has a wealth of information on the subject.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=7

Personally, I use a bore guide, from Brownells, a one piece Dewey delrin cleaning rod.

I keep an Otis in my range kit for cleaning if needed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I run a Brownells bore guide.

Didn't get into the whole Otis kits. I just use a standard cleaning rod, works fine for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Lucas Bore Guide
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Unnecessary.......
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a section labeled "maintanance and cleaning" which has a wealth of information on the subject.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=7

Personally, I use a bore guide, from Brownells, a one piece Dewey delrin cleaning rod.

I keep an Otis in my range kit for cleaning if needed.

Uh, this IS the "Maintanance and Cleaning" section.  It wouldn't hurt to do a search here first, but unless you are quite familiar with this search engine, it could be a bit challenging to find what you're looking for.  Lucas makes excellent bore guides.  I think I'm going to get a JP aluminum bore guide though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lucas Bore Guide

ditto. very good product.

Tipton CF rod
boresnake for the field
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok thanks guys I think I'am gonna get a Lucas bore guide. So I'am gonna use it with a one piece dewey rod, do I need a seperate cleaning system for the chamber?? whats the best way goin about that?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top