Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2007 3:20:42 PM EDT
  I purchased a one point sling adapter and it appears that I have to remove the buffer tube in order to install it. I have a Colt AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine and I already removed the collapsible stock, buffer and buffer spring.

I purchased a stock wrench and the ring on the buffer tube doesn't budge. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has already been covered. (A search of the forums didn't show the exact info I need)
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
the nut is staked on, as it should be.

2 options: dremel the stakes off and replace the ruined parts, or turn that nut hard and shear the staking off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What stock wrench did you buy? If it's a smallish one, slip a short piece of pipe over the end to give yourself a little leverage, and remember, slow steady pressure.

Second, how are you clamping it down?
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Both of mine were a real bitch to get off.   A vise helps.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
After finding that the wrench bent before the thing moved....

I think it's the wrong wrench. It said AR-15 Carbine on the packaging, bnut other ones I since seen online are different. Mine had one peg, the others look like they have three.

Maybe with those and a small amount of cussing, it should come off.

Thanks to all that replied.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Invest in a good armorers wrench. This is my DPMS wrench.

Link Posted: 4/27/2007 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know if one peg will work when the Castle nut is staked in place.

It is one good thing Colt does.

Your going to replace the plate anyway why not grind?  Order a new Nut JIC.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't know if one peg will work when the Castle nut is staked in place.

It is one good thing Colt does.

Your going to replace the plate anyway why not grind?  Order a new Nut JIC.

I'd hesitate to grind just because I wouldn't want to risk the reciever extension.
Of course, I invested in an armorers wrench from the git, and never bothered with the smaller stock wrenches.
The staking will shear, but like I said, slow steady pressure. And a wrench that won't break first helps.
I pretty much have no use for DPMS, but that armorers wrench is pretty freakin sweet. It's, as they say, the heat.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top