Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 2:11:51 PM EDT
NEW QUESTION*
I bought a new barrel and replaced it. I manually loaded and ejected 10rds of m193 and the 10th round got stuck just like before and i had to take the rifle apart to clear the round.
Since it now appears to not be a barrel issue and i ruled out it being a bolt carrier group or mags or ammo or lower and now barrel.
My question is could the gas tube be out of spec and lock up the bcg to where it wont eject a round manually? Is that possible because i cant think of any other part it could be cause i used 3 different bcg and several mags and different ammo and 3 different lowers and now 2 barrels so what do you think about the gas tube locking the bcg up to where i cant retract the charging handle and clear the round. The rounds are fully seating now and eject most of the time but do get stuck about every 6th or 8th round.

THANKS A TON GUYS!!!!

I have a new build thats a week old. When i load a round it will not fully seat and cant use the FA to seat it and when intry to eject the round its completely locked up. The charging handle wont move nor the BC. I have to take the halfs apart and bang out the BC to get the round out.

The mags are fully seated and im not riding the charging handle. It seems like it might be something with the barrel extension. It seats fine on a empty chamber but when i load a round it wont fully seat and it becomes completely locked up and i have to remove the halfs and tap out the bolt carrier.

I tried 3 different BC groups and all 3 do the same thing. There isnt anything wrong with the barrel extension and all the BCGs seat perfect when not loading a round. I am completely lost on this one

Any ideas PLEASE

New update
I just loaded 15rds of wolf ammo and manually cycled 15rds without issue. I did have wolf ammo lock up before but this time is cycled perfect.
Next i loaded m193 and it manually cycled 3rds and then locked up
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like the chamber is out of spec.
View Quote
Thats what i finally just started to think of since i pretty much eliminated all other possible causes
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The rifle cycles, trigger pulls and safety works until you use a live round.

Ammo out of spec or chamber out of spec.
Are you sure it's the right caliber barrel ? Should be written on the barrel, could it be a 300bo
Has the ammo worked in another AR?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The rifle cycles, trigger pulls and safety works until you use a live round.

Ammo out of spec or chamber out of spec.
Are you sure it's the right caliber barrel ? Should be written on the barrel, could it be a 300bo
Has the ammo worked in another AR?
View Quote
That was the first thing i looked at to make sure the barrel was marked 556 which it is and ammo worked perfect in 2 other ARs
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not like that infamous spike's thread where the guy ordered a 5.45 barrel, but got a 5.56, in reverse?

Have you tried dropping a case or round into the chamber to see what happens? It should slide right in and out.

Take a casting of the chamber? I forget the name of the stuff off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's not like that infamous spike's thread where the guy ordered a 5.45 barrel, but got a 5.56, in reverse?

Have you tried dropping a case or round into the chamber to see what happens? It should slide right in and out.

Take a casting of the chamber? I forget the name of the stuff off the top of my head.
View Quote
I just slid a round without the bcg into the chamber and it slid right in and fell right out.
I just cant figure out why it seats on a open chamber but load a round and the bolt wont close all the way. The FA wont work and the charging handle is locked up and cant remove the round that way. Only way to remove the round is to take the rifle apart and tap the bcg out. I used 3 different bcg and it happened to all 3
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thinking out loud...

Ejector stuck? Maybe crap inside the ejector channel, burr or such...

Headspace too short? Lets it go just enough into battery with a round that it sticks...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]

Headspace too short? Lets it go just enough into battery with a round that it sticks...
View Quote
Since he's using commercially manufactured ammo insufficient headspace seems like the culprit. I would contact the barrel source and ask them to check it out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Since he's using commercially manufactured ammo insufficient headspace seems like the culprit. I would contact the barrel source and ask them to check it out.
View Quote
Thats what i did today. I contacted the company and explained whats wrong with the barrel. There arent any burrs or anything at all wrong with the chamber and i tried 3 different bolt carrier groups and all 3 didnt fully seat and all 3 got locked up completely and wouldnt eject without taking the rifle apart. All the testing I've done and just what seems to make sense it appears it has to be the issue is with the chamber so hopefully the company won't give me any problems and we'll replace it. thanks a lot for your help guys it's really appreciate it more than you know
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you clean the chamber and bolt face?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did you clean the chamber and bolt face?
View Quote
Yes I did clean both and also they are both brand new and unused I also inspected the chamber and the bolt lugs for any imperfections or bars or anything and both are perfect
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Its definitely not the bolt lugs as i tried 3 different bolt carrier groups and all the same issue so i narrowed it to the chamber which is a new barrel and it did fire 5 rounds before this happened and once in a while i can manually load and extract rounds but thats has only happened a couple times.

If the chamber is out of spec would i have been able to fire those very first 5 rounds before this issue happened?

I dont remember seeing any marks or dents or anything on the rounds that get stuck but ill do it again and see how the round comes out looking. Thanks for the advice!

Quoted:
When you slam the bolt carrier group in and gets stuck, pull the round out...check the casing if their are any rings or dents being that are formed from the chamber, could be the barrel extension was not correctly finished. possibility but you never know, sounds like head spacing is short or lugs are not milled to spec on the bolt.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I just tried it again and the round got stuck and when i took the upper and lower apart to remove the bolt and round the brass did have a couple light vertical scrapes and the bullet had a few scratches on it. Any idea what that might mean?

Quoted:
When you slam the bolt carrier group in and gets stuck, pull the round out...check the casing if their are any rings or dents being that are formed from the chamber, could be the barrel extension was not correctly finished. possibility but you never know, sounds like head spacing is short or lugs are not milled to spec on the bolt.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
sounds like head spacing is short....
View Quote
That's what I would check.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks very much for the detailed directions im gonna try just the bolt carrier and seeing how that fits up with the gas tube and the Chamber and I do know that the end of the gas tube does meet up with the cut out for the key. And as for the makes of the barrel the original one was a Davidson defense Barrel and the new one I just got is a Bear Creek and both are mid-length 16 inch barrels. I just don't think that it can be the chamber since those barrels are from separate companies although I guess it's possible since they are cheaper barrels butt unlikely so that's why I was asking about the gas tube and I'm going to go try that in a few minutes and see what happens so thanks again for the detailed instructions and I'll post how it went

Quoted:
What barrel and brand name?

I ask since a few made it out into the wild that where only rough reamed, not final reamed, and these are going to head space short until the are final finished reamed.
Really, the dead give away short of having a head space gauge, is to just check to see what condition that chamber is in.  If reamer hell still marked, then kind of guess that is was not either final reamed, or the final reamer put through it was total shite instead.

As for checking the gas tube, just pull the bolt off the carrier and with carrier with key, dry fit it into the upper receiver.  The end of the gas tube should mate up with the key when the front of the carrier is about a inch back from touching the barrel extension.   Also, when you look straight into the receiver, the end of the gas tube should be about center of the releif cut for the cam.  Hence you should barely feel the two mate up, and when you pull the carrier off the barrel extension with just the B/C, should not feel any binding of the two releasing from each other.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for your input and I sent the barrel back and not sure what I did with the rounds that had markings on them but the brass had two parallel vertical lines almost the length of the cases and the bullet had uneven markings on it but the brass was perfectly 2 straight vertical lines almost the length of the case starting at the bottom at The Rim almost going to the neck

Quoted:
Sound like the barrel extension is out of speck or needs to be honed. What concerns me is that when you load a round it gets stuck, the tolerance is extremely tight. I would hone out the barrel extension with and after polish it to make the glass surface, but keep in mind you never want to take off much material just enough to take off the imperfections in the chamber. Can you provide me a picture of the ridges on casing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Took the AR to the range today with the new barrel installed and it fed and fired and ejected every single round flawlessly so im hoping the issue was with the first barrels chamber and i was very happy with how well the AR performed today.

THANKS A TON TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED THEIR THOUGHTS IT WAS A HUGE HELP AND EXTREMELY APPRECIATED!!!!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top