Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2017 8:20:51 PM EDT
So I have a sbr upper that's always been gtg. But today it was single shooting. The fired round would eject but the second would jam halfway up the feed ramp. I brought it home and cleaned it and pipe cleaned the gas tube. Any ideas on the cause?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you shooting ammo and using magazines you've used without issue in the past?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I have a sbr upper that's always been gtg. But today it was single shooting. The fired round would eject but the second would jam halfway up the feed ramp. I brought it home and cleaned it and pipe cleaned the gas tube. Amy ideas on the cause?
View Quote

I'd recommend you email BCM.

This is just very weird.

My BCM 11.5" works like a boss.

I've put several thousand rounds through it in hard training classes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Today I was using black box American eagle and a magpul straight 20.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Today I was using black box American eagle and a magpul straight 20.
View Quote
You only used one mag?

Try a different mag - spring could be worn and not pushing a new round up fast enough.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Had 2 different mp straights
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Slam that mag home. Shouldn't ever have to clean the gas tube.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Recoil spring might need replaced, the Geissele Super 42 is perfect for SBRs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if it's the cause of your problem, but Magpul straight 20 round mags are known to be problematic.  It's why the current ones are curved.  I've also read that if you contact Magpul they will exchange them for you.  That said, I have a few that I've had no problems with.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a issue with my BCM a while back. The gas key on the carrier group bleeds gas like crazy. It would sometimes work flawlessly but then randomly not pick up a round or not lock the bolt back, etc.

Comparing to other bolts and using oil, I noticed the BCM sprayed out a lot of oil near where the screws set in. I sent it back and BCM replaced it and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a issue with my BCM a while back. The gas key on the carrier group bleeds gas like crazy. It would sometimes work flawlessly but then randomly not pick up a round or not lock the bolt back, etc.

Comparing to other bolts and using oil, I noticed the BCM sprayed out a lot of oil near where the screws set in. I sent it back and BCM replaced it and it worked fine.
View Quote
Gas key was one thing I would suggest looking into as well after testing with other known functioning mags and ammo. Key thing is to eliminate one variable at a time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Per BCM, make sure you have the o-ring installed under the extractor for the 11.5 uppers.
I had a similar issue.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
No way! Can't happen! GD will serve up a verbal beatdown if you doubt the CHOSEN brands! Must have been you or your cheap ass ammo!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Per BCM, make sure you have the o-ring installed under the extractor for the 11.5 uppers.
I had a similar issue.
View Quote
The O ring has nothing to do with failing to chamber/feed.

I would check everything over for gas leaks, gas key and gas block primarily. Make sure your bolt is retracting all the way when cycling by hand. Also check out the lower, make sure the hammer can move through its full range, there's nothing under the trigger. Pull out the buffer and spring, make sure everything looks good.

Might be worth trying another magazine if you don't find anything else going on. Whatever you do, don't pitch those magazines, or send them back to Magpul... there are many who desire them, so just sell them on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#16]
The two mags worked fine in my home built sbr that day. I think its gotta be a gas issue
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The O ring has nothing to do with failing to chamber/feed.

I would check everything over for gas leaks, gas key and gas block primarily. Make sure your bolt is retracting all the way when cycling by hand. Also check out the lower, make sure the hammer can move through its full range, there's nothing under the trigger. Pull out the buffer and spring, make sure everything looks good.

Might be worth trying another magazine if you don't find anything else going on. Whatever you do, don't pitch those magazines, or send them back to Magpul... there are many who desire them, so just sell them on the EE.
View Quote
Oops, I mis-read the op.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Single feed it and check to see that it locks all the way back after ejection, also where is your brass Landing?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess next time im out if its doing again Ill swap the bcg. That should tell me if its the stalk maybe. I could also try the upper on a different lower, that would tell me if its the recoil spring. If none of that matters then i guess it could be something with the tube/block.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Try loading a few rounds (under 5) and see if you have the same problems.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know that seems odd. Try some 193 and a good GI magazine and lots of lube.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Loose gas block. Had a similar issue when I first build mine using an complete upper purchased from CDNN. When I removed the hand guard, the gas block was out of position because the Allen screws were never tightened properly. Cleaned it, re-positioned the gas block and tightened the setscrews and it has been functioning perfectly ever since.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Well this is a factory built bcm thats never choked on any ammo ive ever used (lots of tula included). I was using magpul straight 20s (my perfered mag that Ive never had a issue) and only loaded 2 or 3 rounds in the mag at a time (cause I was planing to work on reloading drills) it would choke after firing the first round everytime.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#24]
So I finally was able to get it out again and the upper ran fine with a different bcg. That bcg that was a problem ran fine in a surpressed sbr upper (over Gasing i guess why) so would you all think its a leaking gas key problem?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Check the gas rings too.  What's their life, like 3000 rounds?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Well i am probably at the 2k-3k rounds. But bcm said send it in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Heard back from BCM, they said it was on the lowest passable headspace and a broken fastener (which I didn't see on inspection) so they changed out the broken and worn out parts and on the way back. Gotta love bcm!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top