Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2017 11:25:02 PM EDT
So I just tried to check gas tube binding with gas key on my AR15-A4 with just the bolt carrier.
Was surprised there is too much binding that bolt carrier is stuck and not fall due to gravity considering this is a Colt factory-assembled A4.

So I reindexed the barrel nut. It's now good and falling loose. But I am seeing gastube with a bit of play/movement when the key engages it. I can even see this play behind the snap ring.
Then when I move the tube by hand in front of barrel nut, there's a play all the way from barrel nut groove through the other end of the upper. Is this normal?

So what I did is to adjust the snap ring C-clip against it the tube and it's not moving now and no binding.

Or should I reindex the barrel nut again so the tube would rest against one of the sides of the groove?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dano, will tweak tube as advised.
Is it easy to bend with bare hands?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Dano, actually I'm thinking if the gas tube floats on the delta ring through upper receiver channel after bending, then there's room for it to distort upon heating up, rather than tweaking in a way snugged which I stated in my first post, then there would be no room for it to distort?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the inputs Dano. I learned something new today.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Good thing I tested gas tube alignment again after installing KAC M5 RAS.
The M5 upper rail barrel nut clamp with gas tube channel was pressing down on the tube.
I poked the tube a bit down inside the upper and bolt carrier slides smoothly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Adding input on this thread...
I usually store the AR without BCG. So it's been a while in the safe and when I tried to test again gas tube fitting on carrier key (less bolt), there's so much binding again!  I thought the gas tube had moved back to its original shape since the time I poked it inside the upper.

The only thing I had done to it is remove the lower half of M5 ras few days ago.  Then.... I just discovered that what made the gas tube moved it's alignment is the  handguard slip ring.
It has a hole that the only the gas tube is retaining it from rotating.  That few mm difference it shifts the gas tube causes a binding effect.  So after adjusting, now I have 99.99999% smooth gaskey engagement to gas tube.

This is what I will keep on checking for gas tube alignment everytime I compress the slip ring when removing/changing handguards/RAS.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top