Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 3:35:24 PM EDT
I have been having issues with my mk12 mod 1 with and without the can.  Blown primers and overpressure. Primer gets stuck in the bolt face/behind the bolt and stops function. Bullets in mag very dirty.

relevant information:

barrel 17.9 criterion SPR stainless barrel m4 feed ramps CLE match chamber (don't know gas port size on barrel)
Colt BCG and matched bolt to barrel
Gas block DD mk12 FSB .0750 gas port
A2 stock rifle buffer
suppressed and unsuppressed AEM5 suppressor same issue

ammo shooting

PMC 55 grain 5.56
Federal XM855 62 grain 5.56
IMI OTM 77 grain 5.56

shot 100 rounds today.  blown primers ~10

1 blown primer stuck in bolt lugs, had to sledgehammer the stock and charging handle to remove.

last blown primer got stuck behind the bolt head and stopped the bolt in rearward travel.  had to disassemble stock to retrieve bolt.  Primer located.

Thanks.  My gunsmith is going to check it next week.  

He suggested checking head spacing, which i'm not sure of since it is a matched bolt.

and measuring gas port sizes between the barrel and the gas block.  If this is the issue, i suppose an adjustable gas block might be in order?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Your gunsmith is on the right track about the headspace. Excessive headspace can mimic over pressure by allowing the primers to unseat.

Was it blowing primers with all the ammo or one particular type?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
the CLE match chamber is a 5.56 chamber

it was doing it with all 3 types of rounds listed
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I suppose I should have inquired.  The barrel came from CLE marked as CLE MATCH

The CLE match chamber is basically the same as a .223 SAAMI spec chamber with a modified lead angle in the throat. The CLE chamber has a 1.5 degree lead angle per side where the .223 is over 3 degrees. This allows for less bullet jump with out of the magazine ammo yet still providing an advantageous lead angle for modern high ballistic coefficient bullets. The Wylde chamber is .002 bigger in the cartridge case area and has a longer throat. On the average the CLE chamber will shoot 23% smaller groups with out of the magazine ammo. The CLE match chamber will give better barrel life due to the shorter throat and gives slightly higher pressure.

There has been no problem shooting PMC, Lake City and IMI .556 Rounds out of the CLE chamber.

It is ultimately up to the shooter to determine the suitability of the ammo in a particular firearm.
View Quote
also, When I was building the Rifle, the guys in the mk12 thread said the CLE match chamber was fine for all types of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
IMI 77 grain RAZOR ammo is popping primers in lots of rifles. It's loaded HOT! Some chronographs are recording 2850 fps with a 77 grain bullet. That's close to 200 fps faster than the hottest loads I will shoot.

There have been plenty of people having the same problem you are.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I learned something today. I did not use Jp bore paste. Never had a rifle that hadn't had that done before. GG. Ugh thanks compass lake for helping me sort this out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Do what now?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do what now?
View Quote
Jb bore paste as part of the break in
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do what now?
What part?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I use JB Bore paste when a barrel stops shooting well, usually when it's nearing the end of it's life. I mix it with Kroil and clean the crap out of the bore.

Usually it will help, it has never hurt. I have never used it to break a barrel in.

Check your spent brass, I would wager the only cases missing primers are the Israeli 77 grain RAZOR brass.

Stop shooting it. It's too hot for your rifle. I think it's too hot for every rifle.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top