Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 6:37:30 PM EDT
A few months ago I replaced the endplate on one of my lowers, and I noticed that the buffer tube looks to be canted when looking at the gun from directly above. I had a buddy hold the lower and stock still while I tirghtened the castle nut and then staked it. I'm not a huge guy so I don't think I could bend the area where the tube screws in, but it still looks to be off? Is there a chance of this happening?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
post the pictures.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing you would see some cracks in the anodizing if you bent the lower.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Pic I just took, looks pretty straight?Yet when I look at it it looks off, optical illusion maybe?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks can be deceiving ...
If you have access to a lathe, turn down some round stock.
Until it just fits in the buffer tube. It should be centered in the front of the lower.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You're eyeing it up using only ONE eye, right? That's really the only way to eyeball alignment. Eye dominance and depth perception play tricks with your eyes. One eye ONLY (and "in line", either directly above, behind, or in front of) when approximating alignment of anything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks fine to me.  Is that a tan anodized RE?  If so, who makes it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
A few months ago I replaced the endplate on one of my lowers
View Quote
Compare with your other lowers.

Is it different? does it look different?

Use a straightedge, A dial caliper. Take some measurements. Check centerline. Lay on a flat surface and compare height.

Compare two lowers with same upper, shoot it, testing accuracy and functionality.

If you don't see a difference, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#8]
7075 aluminum will generally crack rather than bend, so unless you have a 6061 billet lower or something, it would seem unlikely than you bent it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks fine to me.  Is that a tan anodized RE?  If so, who makes it?
View Quote
Nah it's just a regular black 7075 RE.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
You should be able to look at it from the front of the lower with the buffer and spring removed and use an LED flashlight to illuminate the inside of the tube to see if it lines up. IOW, just like the picture you showed except with the hammer cocked to get it out of the way. Or sight down the top of the tube from the rear and see if its in line. I guess its possible the threads are a little off on the tube or lower. If its crooked, it probably would work like that but maybe not a good thing long term.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top