Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2017 7:24:39 PM EDT
I installed a barrel on my upper, and torqued to the spec listed in the installation guide.
Yesterday I went to remove the barrel (wanting to use a shorter barrel, this is a build in progress and hasn't been fired yet), and broke the wrench supplied by Aero.
I already emailed them about a replacement.

Here's where my question is:
How am I supposed to get the barrel nut off?
I was using an 18in breaker bar.
I seemed to be having trouble keeping the wrench indexed properly with the barrel nut. Is there a trick to keeping the wrench properly indexed to get this barrel nut to budge?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I had read thread lockers were a no-no for barrel nuts, so fortunately that's not the issue. I'll give something like kroil a go, if not some heat.
Thank you for the suggestions!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Had the same issue with one of mine, I let it sit in my freezer for 30-40 minutes, and it loosened up a bit. I made sure to put drops of oil in there before shoving it in the fridge.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If you had the older big Aero barrel nut tool, they break easily (fairly certain they are cast).  If you broke the newer flat version, it may be cross threaded.  If it's the older version, Aero will replace for free.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It was the older version. I had seen the new flat one on their website. I'm standing by to hear from them about the one I broke, but the new wrenches are cheap enough I may just order one
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Their newer wrenchs blow the older ones out of the water.

I've broken 2 out of 5.

Made sure to be real careful with the remaining ones.

Just wait for them to send you a updated version,  it'll come off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a can of Kroil, as it creeps within one micron.  Anything else will not perform as well.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote
In my experience 'Sili-Kroil' is actually a better penetrant than 'Kroil' for applications where you don't mind silicone getting on the work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Or try Seafoam "Deep Creep".
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.
Kroil and tapping it off with a hammer and punch got it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top