Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2017 5:02:16 PM EDT
I have finished my forth build and have never had a animalact loke this, here are the basics.

It has the following parts :

Wilson arms 18" mid length stainless steel Wylde
Aim Nitride BCG
PSA lower parts kit
Yankee Hill gas block and JSE mid length tube
PSA carbin buffer tube weight and spring

Now here is the problem,  shells eject at about 1:00 and when you only load one round at a time bolt will lock back like it is suppose to. ( seasoning the barrel ,1 shot clean repeat etc.)  But when 2 or more rounds are loaded in the  magazine it will not cycle to fire.  It appears to be going into full battery  forward assist does not help.  Pull the charging handle back chamber a new round and bang. Any ideas,  could it be the magazine or is it a over gas issue due to the ejecting at 1:00 or so that is what I have read but the failure to cycle is somewhat puzzling. Any and all ideas would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
First thing is to make sure you have enough bolt travel. If you retract the BCG/Charging handle all the way until it stops, the bolt face should be roughly 1/4 inch behind the bolt catch.

If that's ok, sounds like over-energy is a good possibility. Midlength is too short for an 18" barrel. If you have a heavier buffer like an H2 or H3 that would definitely be something to try. Changing to an adjustable gas block would be a good idea if that turns out to be the case.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking over gas was the problem but I wanted to run it by the group here to get some more thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA carbon buffer weight? Is this a lightweight buffer, if so, that's probably your problem. I use the heaviest buffer that the rifle will still function with.

It's easier on the rifle, the brass and the bolt when you run heavy buffers. It allows the chamber pressure to subside somewhat before the bolt starts to open.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried different magazines? A bad magazine, or magazine not seated properly is another good possibility.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Short-cycling is not an 'over-gassed' symptom. It represents either low gas pressure or restrictive recoil apparatus. It could be weak ammo which would fall under 'low gas pressure'. It could be an excessively heavy buffer or stiff spring which would fall under 'restrictive recoil apparatus'. Have you tested the 'pull' of the charging handle against working rifles or maybe just your recollection of what feels 'right'? I think a carbine recoil set-up is to heavy/stiff for a mid-length gas rifle.
The first thing to try (after verifying full bolt travel as advised by others) is fresh, mil-grade 62gr ammo. If that works, you might shoot a few hundred of those to break it in. If it still doesn't work, you have to look at modifying your recoil set-up to a lighter spring/lighter buffer.
A proper middy set-up usually results in a very smooth-functioning 16" to 18" rifle. I made one with a full stock and standard mil (rifle) spring and buffer. Others have used carbine stocks with middy barrels but I don't know exactly what parts they used - you can probably find some parts lists on here that will give you an idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE:  I discovered the the "Premium Trigger" from PSA was one problem.  Trigger disconect had to be polishd up a bit so that it would function properly.  Now I have ordered a heavier buffer ( 4.9 oz) to see ifthat helps with the ejection pattern.   And now just waiting for it to arrive and the weather clear up a bit around here to see how it works.  Thanks for the ideas.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top