Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 12:29:43 PM EDT
Hey crew! I recently purchased a PSA M4 upper with FN marked 16" chf barrel. I'm at the range now with it and it is ejecting rounds very easily compared to any other AR I have ever owned. Brass lands about 3' front and 3' right. It is extremely consistent.  Ammo is LC M193. I have checked the gas rings and they are good to go and properly staggered. Extractor was fine but noticed the o-ring was split so removed it with no difference in ejection. A separate BCG with a noticeably stronger ejector produced similar results.

My question is whether or not this could ever be a problem. It has functioned perfectly over approximately 200 rds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
it's fine

it means its a touch over gassed...might want to put an H buffer in it...or don't worry about it and shoot it
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to sound overly stupid, but too much gas causes gentle extraction? That seems counterintuitive. I would have thought it would mean it was under gassed
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I just found several ejection pattern charts that agree exactly with what you said.  I guess I would rather it be running hot instead of under gassed.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quit looking at the charts. If it's been functioning well so far don't fix it until it breaks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like your rifle is working just fine.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey crew! I recently purchased a PSA M4 upper with FN marked 16" chf barrel. I'm at the range now with it and it is ejecting rounds very easily compared to any other AR I have ever owned. Brass lands about 3' front and 3' right. It is extremely consistent.  Ammo is LC M193. I have checked the gas rings and they are good to go and properly staggered. Extractor was fine but noticed the o-ring was split so removed it with no difference in ejection. A separate BCG with a noticeably stronger ejector produced similar results.

My question is whether or not this could ever be a problem. It has functioned perfectly over approximately 200 rds.
View Quote

It'll take 20K rounds through it for sure to decide if it's a problem......and no cleaning, just lube.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#7]
A weak ejector spring can cause this but in your case I doubt that is the issue. I shortened the ejector spring in my NRA match rifle so the brass will land at 1-2:00. Cut it so the the ejector plunger (unpinned) was flush with the bolt nose and re-installed. It should not cause you any problems.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top