Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 10:57:59 AM EDT
Scenario - I loaded 100 rounds of 223 ammo for my brother's son-in-law for Christmas.  Hornady V-Max 55 grain bullets - 23.5 grains H335 - CCI small rifle primers.  Brother called yesterday and told me that his son-in-law suffered a bunch of FTF's and rounds stuck in the chamber.  When he gave the remainder of the rounds back to me, he handed me three that he said "would not even load into the AR-15".  

I accepted the shells and since I live out in the country, I immediately loaded these shells into a mag and put it in one of my Palmetto SA AR-15's.  Bang! Bang! Bang!  They fired without a hitch.  I then took five shells randomly out of the "bad" batch and put them in a mag.  These five fired perfectly and with great accuracy.  So, I took five more randomly out of the batch and loaded them into the mag and put it in another one of my Palmetto SA AR-15's.  All five fired perfectly in this gun too.  So, 13 rounds without a problem.

I'm told that the son-in-law's AR-15 shot "factory" rounds just fine.  It too is a Palmetto State Armory  AR-15 but with a Melonite (SP?) barrel. Mine are "pencil stainless" barrels, otherwise the same gun.

Given that factory rounds shot fine, what are some possibilities for his gun having problems and two of mine shooting perfectly?  Buffer spring?  Dirty chamber?

I don't have a lot of experience at this and could use some expert input.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you using "small base" dies or regular 223 dies?  I have switched to RCBS AR series dies which are "small base" specifically designed for semi-auto rifles. I had the same problem with a DPMS 18" SPR  barrel, it's tighter than normal chamber was not allowing my reloads to fully chamber and where extremely difficult to extract.  Like you my reloads would work perfect in my AR's with a 5.56 NATO chambering.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Using regular RCBS 223 dies
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Your reloads are probably not sized enough to fit his chamber.  There is some variation in every chamber, especially newer ones that haven't worn in yet.

You may need to turn your sizing die down a hair further into the press to resize the case more, and use his chamber as your "case gage" to test fit the resized cases.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Wylde chamber "larger" than NATO chamber - perhaps this is the problem.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Not true. Wylde chamber is smaller, similar to 223, but with a longer throat like 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Neck portion of Wylde chamber is larger, so is base dia. and shoulder dia. and base to case mouth. Clymer reamer for NATO is exception for some dim.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
5.56mm NATO, .223 and .223 Wylde should all work off the same go - no go gages. Used rifle's headspace gets longer over time. Especially if the owner has high round counts, does magazine dumps or uses high pressure ammo on a regular basis. Your rifle simply has more wear on it then theirs does.

Just turn your die down ever so slightly and you should be good to go. You only need to gain a couple thousandths more clearance.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I had some reloads do the same thing, you need a case gauge.  I'm guessing the shoulder needs bumped a hair. 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a lot of experience at this and could use some expert input. Thank you.
View Quote

I don't consider myself an expert yet, but some things I've read and been told do come to mind.

When working charge ladders, 1 every gun is different. 2 , every powder lot may be different.

3, when letting others use your reloads, if there happens to be a kaboom, with injuries or fatalities , everyone is on the same page ,Legally and otherwise speaking.

p.s . 4, the best final chamber gauge is the barrel. Drop cartridge in to hear the nice light solid kerplunk sound. tip it over and it should fall out.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top