Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2017 4:37:08 PM EDT
I just finished my xm16e1 clone and made some dummy rounds for it. When I pulled the charging handle back and let it go the round wouldn't chamber all the way. I tried it again with another one and the round got stuck. I had to hit it on the ground to get it out. The casing is a little scratched. The barrel is a brand new green Mountain A1 barrel. I'm not sure if maybe the chrome went on a little thick? I cleaned the barrel when I first got it. I don't see anything unusual in the chamber. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
How did your headspace check go?  If it went ok, check the dummy rounds you are using against specs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did your headspace check go?  If it went ok, check the dummy rounds you are using against specs.
View Quote

I haven't headspaced it. I'll take it somewhere and do that. I dropped an m855 round in the chamber and the base sticks out about a quarter inch or less.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I haven't headspaced it. I'll take it somewhere and do that. I dropped an m855 round in the chamber and the base sticks out about a quarter inch or less.
View Quote

It's supposed to stick out 1/4" or so. It's is very rare for any new rifle barrel not to work with a new G.I. bolt. I suggest you clean the barrel and chamber thoroughly if you haven't done so already. Most new ammo is quite a bit shorter than SAAMI minimum headspace and it's nearly impossible for the bolt not to close on it. Reloads can fail to chamber if they weren't sized enough.

Does the bolt go home on an empty chamber? If not some crud is stopping it or the barrel extension has a flaw.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's supposed to stick out 1/4" or so. It's is very rare for any new rifle barrel not to work with a new G.I. bolt. I suggest you clean the barrel and chamber thoroughly if you haven't done so already. Most new ammo is quite a bit shorter than SAAMI minimum headspace and it's nearly impossible for the bolt not to close on it. Reloads can fail to chamber if they weren't sized enough.

Does the bolt go home on an empty chamber? If not some crud is stopping it or the barrel extension has a flaw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it closes on an empty chamber. Bother the barrel and bcg are brand new. The bcg is a rra chrome carrier. I'll try put some live ammo in it. Maybe the rifle will just require small base dies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
They are not crimped. I didn't size the brass myself either, it's from a company that does that already then sells the brass. I'll size some myself and try. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are not crimped. I didn't size the brass myself either, it's from a company that does that already then sells the brass. I'll size some myself and try. Thanks!
View Quote

Hopefully that is all it is. A loaded round should fall into and out of a clean dry chamber by itself.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top