Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2017 8:48:26 PM EDT
One of the three silver colored rings toward the rear of the bolt is mangled. What causes this to happen?

Not sure when it happened. Put 310 rounds through it today. Wasn't like this before. No function issues though.

Rifle is a PSA 20" A2 style Freedom upper/LPK built on an Anderson lower

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are called gas rings, and chances are, there's a burr or deformity inside the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
They are just wear items, cheap and easy to replace. Would be best to fix the burr first though. Brownells sells a carrier cleaning tool that would do the trick I bet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Great information guys. Thanks so much.

I have another question. I intend to replace the rings tomorrow when the shop that sells them is open. I'll also give everything a thorough cleaning.

If it proves to be a manufacturing spec defect with the bolt carrier/bolt and happens again, am I safe to get a new bolt/bolt carrier and drop it in the rifle and shoot? I've received mixed answers on this in the research I've done on it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Just installed the new gas rings. Is it placebo effect, or can better rings make manually cycling the bolt feel smoother/faster?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Had enough daylight to run 120 rounds through it earlier. Zero malfunctions and the rings aren't showing any signs of wear or contact with burrs.

At least one of the factory rings was installed the sharp/flat side toward the locking lugs instead of the bolt tail. Should be good now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Not trying to hijack the thread.  Thanks for the info guys glad i read this.  Checked my new BCG and two rings were backwards and found a nice metal shaving lodged in with rings.  Was wondering why it felt gritty/rough chalked it up to new but much smoother now after correcting.  Yes did clean it when i got it but didnt check rings.  

Thanks guys!!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top