Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2016 8:37:25 PM EDT
Hey all. I have a BCM complete upper that is paired with a Bushmaster lower and Bushmaster BCG.

On two separate occasions I have experienced a failure to fire followed by a failure to extract.

Basically, I was firing, and then on one shot, I hear a click upon a trigger pull. I observe the ejection port to see a closed bolt.
Tap... try racking the bolt only it is stuck in battery.  I swear and struggle for a minute or two before I manage to pry apart the
upper and lower receivers and finally get the stuck cartridge and BCG free.

This exact occurrence has happened twice in my rifle.

What could be causing this?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I will check the gas key and pay more attention to my next cleaning of the internals, when I look at it.

However, while this happened twice, and is definitely an issue that needs to be investigated. The remainder of the shots
fired as expected. I would have assumed a gas key issue would have caused more frequent stoppages.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you shooting reloads?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind that when the gas tube gets hot, it going to distort a touch on it own.

This is the reason that the barrel nut has to be correctly indexed with the upper receiver channel for the gas tube to allow it to float in the channel, and not be bound tight between the barrel nut void and the upper receiver gas tube channel instead.

So a gas tube that is not correctly indexed to begin with, will cause a touch of binding on lock and release, and if the tube is not free floating in the upper receiver gas tube channel (gas tube should wiggle in the channel when you touch it), the binding of the tube to key will become worse as the tube heats up instead.

Once we can determine that the gas tube is not the issue of the bolt  failure to lock up/ hard to cycle out a live round, then we can focus on other items that may be causing the problem instead.
View Quote
Okay, I know it has been a long time since I posted this question, but school and girlfriend problems take priority at times.

So I did your test by inserting the bolt carrier group (with bolt removed) into the upper receiver to test fit the carrier key with the gas tube. They line up very well with barely any noticeable contact. The gas tube slides into the carrier key with no friction. I don't even think that the exterior of the gas tube touches the interior of the carrier key when inside, and the exterior of the carrier key does not touch any part of the receiver. After removing the carrier, I touched the tip of the gas tube to see if it would wiggle like you described, and it did just a little, so it is not bound up.
I am starting to think that the gas tube is not the culprit here.

As for the possibility of fouling, I do remember scrubbing all the bolt carrier parts, chamber and inner receiver parts with CLP, and it remained fairly wet when I reassembled it the morning before the range. I can't imagine that there was any crud, especially since the upper receiver was new at the time.

I am thinking that perhaps there is a fitting issue between the Bushmaster BCG and BCM upper half? But how could that be if the test fitting showed no signs of friction? Perhaps the bolt?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top