Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2016 10:23:54 PM EDT
Brand new upper assembly and old lower receiver.

Upper:
MEGA receiver
Faxon 16" Middy Gunner
AIM Nitride EVO 3.0 BCG
Griffin Armament Snatch CH
PRI flip up FSB
I forgot whose melonite gas tube.

I know it's not recommended to use steel case to "break in" a new assembly, but I was feeling a bit frisky.  Rifle was also cleaned and lubed up about a week ago to prepare for it's outing .

Silver Bear 62gr Soft Point.  I bought a 500rd case a while back of this stuff.  First time dealing with steel.  Just shot it recently in a different rifle without issue.  Seems to be pretty accurate actually.  Better than my red box AE .223.

So I loaded up 240 rounds of this stuff, the last bit of it, to break in this rifle.

First few shots went great.  Gave me a good gauge so I could zeroish the new optic.  I'm shooting offhand, so as long as it was close enough, that's good enough for now.

Hammered out 210 rounds without issue.  On my last magazine now and a couple of shots in, and click.  Look at the port and see it's a failure to feed.  Released the magazine and see the round come out.  I put the magazine back in and racked the CH.  Failure to feed.  WTF.  This is on a brand new ETS 30rd magazine.  So I'm thinking, ran without issues with my aluminum magazines and now on the last magazine that's the ETS and I'm having feeding issues, wtf.  I pull the CH handle again to see if it would strip the top round.  It wouldn't.  So I dropped the magazine again and looked at the magazine.  It looks perfectly fine.  I can strip the top round with my thumb without issue.  I rack the CH and let it slam home multiple times and it feels fine.  I locked the bolt back to do a release with the bolt release to see if I can feel any binding or something.  I happened to tilt the rifle and that's when I noticed something shiny in the chamber....  I have a failure to extract?  SOB casing is stuck in the chamber.  No wonder I couldn't chamber a round. What a dummy.

It appears when I release the bolt, it slams all the way forward.  It's not able to grip out this last round.  I did not mix in any brass.

So I've fired a little over 470 rounds total of this Silver Bear without issue until now.

This new upper only lasted a little over 210 rounds before having a stuck casing.  I'm too lazy right now to count how many rounds are in the ETS magazine.

Should I be concerned something is not right?  OR is this just the life of dealing with steel case ammo?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Russian steel cased ammo is very dirty.

Compound that with the fact that the steel case does not expand all that much like brass does and a bunch of dirty gas gets past the casing, making the chamber very dirty over time.

If you have not cleaned it and lubed it during that 470 rounds, I would start by cleaning and lubing.

Plus over 470 rounds you would likely need to lube it especially if using CLP. because it dries out.

And if you are using Frog Lube, that will compound the problem because it eventually turns to glue whether you use it or not in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I had 2 ARs and one 9mm Shield completely stop functioning because of Frog Lube. They would not even cycle a round.

It was like having glue on the BCG. I wiped it with a cotton patch and little pieces of cotton stuck to it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Silver Bear doesn't have any poly coating. They are zinc coated casings.

I'm using WeaponShield CLP.

The BCG wasnt locked forward. I could pull it back without issue.  I actually did try to mortar it to see if that gave enough momentum to pull it.

When I got home. A light tap with a rod popped the casing right out.

Looked at the rim. Even though its steel. It was all buggered up from the extracter.

Gave a good cleaning. I'm down to 27 rounds of this steel ammo.

Tempted to buy more, but its really not that much cheaper anymore.

This is my first stuck casing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It's just the way it is with steel man. A BCM extractor upgrade will help a lot.

They get less frequent over time as your chamber wears in. Ive shot 5+ cases of steel in almost a dozen ARS. It happens.

Hit your chamber with solvent and a GI brush and keep it running wet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Silver Bear doesn't have any poly coating. They are zinc coated casings.

I'm using WeaponShield CLP.

The BCG wasnt locked forward. I could pull it back without issue.  I actually did try to mortar it to see if that gave enough momentum to pull it.

When I got home. A light tap with a rod popped the casing right out.

Looked at the rim. Even though its steel. It was all buggered up from the extracter.

Gave a good cleaning. I'm down to 27 rounds of this steel ammo.

Tempted to buy more, but its really not that much cheaper anymore.

This is my first stuck casing.
View Quote

Soft case = poor QA

Steel cases are sensitive to the heat treatment of the steel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You got through 470  rounds of steel without a malf.  Great.  Now clean it and keep going.
I don't hate steel; I have it , shoot it, and like it.  Just remember the AR was designed for brass cases.
And lubrication is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
With a complete casing (didn't lose it's head) stuck in the chamber I don't understand what was happening with the mag. What should have happened is the bolt picks up the next round and tries to load it but the chamber is blocked, so it stops. This is a typical stoppage that is easy to fix. Possibly the bolt picked up the next round but slipped over the rim when the live round hit the fired case head, pushed it back down into the magazine and continued into battery. In that case the top round in the mag should be rather scarred up. This would be a pretty strange happening but is the only way I can imagine the gun going into battery on a loaded mag with a casing already in the chamber. Probably nothing wrong with the mag but sometimes new mags need some conditioning, like leaving loaded for a week and the follower being exercised a few times to check for rubs.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top