Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2016 10:38:17 AM EDT
Went to the range yesterday with a brand new upper and BCG.  I had also finally removed the two stuck detents in the takedown pin detent channel.  So I replaced the clevis pin and ring in the takedown with a proper pin and detent.  This lower has been used many times before but not the new upper.  When I loaded each of the two magazines into the gun and cycled I had a round chambered but I got nothing but "click"  No detonation.  Finally I opened the take down pin to pull
the BCG and noticed my buffer tube detent had come out and the spring was not contained.  Obviously not good and I lost the detent so I had to go home.  But it sure has me wondering how this could cause the weapon not to fire.  If anything the spring would be allowed to move further forward than were it rests but unless I'm missing something this should not cause the weapon to not fire.  Am I correct ?  .
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Your terminology is all screwed up, but I get the gist...
Should have fired without the buffer being contained.

Next your bcg is suspect or ammo.

What kind of ammo.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The ammo was Federal AE 223 in the black box.  Next time out I bring a proven BCG and upper and see what happens.  However that BCG should be good from AIM surplus.  Nevertheless I'll take it apart
and see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the carrier should slide all the way back. on the Bolt, pull the extractor and if you find a O ring around the extractor spring, removed it for safe keeping.  Hence new extractor spring and O ring will put too much tension on the extractor, the extractor will not climb over the case rim correctly at loading, and will keep the bolt from locking up correctly.  With the B/C cleaned and back together, hook a spend case on the extractor and cam the ejector into it bolt face channel a few times.  The extractor should be under a lot of spring tension, but it should not be binding up in it channel at all as it being forced in and allow to spring back out.
View Quote

Something I never thought of.  Since all PSA uppers are test fired before they are shipped I'm really thinking the BCG is somehow at fault here.  I'll take a close look at this aspect, and of course I will have a tried and true BCG with me next trip even if I don't get a chance to clean it.  Lesson learned here on new stuff and my 40 minute trip to the WMA range... bring backups even if you leave them in the car.  Nothing like a trip to the range only to have to drive home with nothing but the sound of "click" ringing in your ears
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, the most terrifying sound on Earth, a click when you expect a bang.  OP, did the primer show any strikemark at all? Ie: light strike vs no strike?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ah, the most terrifying sound on Earth, a click when you expect a bang.  OP, did the primer show any strikemark at all? Ie: light strike vs no strike?
View Quote

VERY good question.....and in our daily grind we should all make things this simple and be this smart!  But no these rounds do not look like even a fairy kissed them.  I've got to look at this upper/BCG combo and some snap caps and soon at the range w/ proven upper/bcg and swaps. This will tighten the noose.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My bet is the firing pin is not properly retained in the BCG by the retainer pin.  When you (or the factory) assembled the BCG did you make sure the firing pin was forward so it would be contained by the retainer pin?  Easy check - when the BCG is out of the upper does the firing pin fall out the back?

It could also be a buggered up firing pin.  

Good hammer action and light / no mark on the primer leads me to firing pin issue.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Think I may have figured out what went wrong.  I when I removed the clevis pin occupying the take down I somehow got the buffer detent wedged either by tension of the spring or the buffer tube screwed into the side of it in a raised
position  This would limit the forward travel of the buffer spring by about 1 to 1.5 mm.  "Click".
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But it sure has me wondering how this could cause the weapon not to fire.  If anything the spring would be allowed to move further forward than were it rests but unless I'm missing something this should not cause the weapon to not fire.  Am I correct ?  .
View Quote

Where was the missing detent at? In the carrier, blocking the firing pin from going forward? Down in the FCG keeping the hammer from moving with full force, or getting fully forward?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The detent only went missing after the take down pin was removed and the upper pivoted on its pivot pin.  Then the detent flew out and the spring came forward and out.  While in the upper it was not compressed and held down by its shoulder by the buffer tube screwed over it slightly (as it should be)  but rather the buffer tube was screwed into the side of it in an elevated position with compression thereby locking it.  This prevented the buffer/spring assembly from moving all the way forward during a charge.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top