Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2016 5:07:27 PM EDT
Hello all, I was at the range yesterday with a new build and it is shooting to the right. I cranked the rear windage almost all the way to the left to hit center. The question I have which way is the front sight/gas block canted??? I have read a lot of forums and the word is" front sight/gas block is canted". I have not found which way it is canted, as you shoulder the weapon is it canted left or right?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
All indications show it is canted to the left (As looking down the sites)
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello all, I was at the range yesterday with a new build and it is shooting to the right. I cranked the rear windage almost all the way to the left to hit center. The question I have which way is the front sight/gas block canted??? I have read a lot of forums and the word is" front sight/gas block is canted". I have not found which way it is canted, as you shoulder the weapon is it canted left or right?

Thanks
View Quote
take front sight and tap it to the right with wood or dead blow hammer. Your welcome
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Why are you worried about the front sight being canted?  If you can't see the cant, it doesn't matter the direction, it probably isn't canted.

Does your build have an A2 style front sight base, or a front sight on a rail?  If it has a FSB, take the upper off the lower and place it upside down on a flat surface.  If it rocks excessively, or leans to one side, the FSB is canted too much.  Many are canted some, but it doesn't matter.  If it is on a rail, the rail may be crooked.

Which barrel did you use on your build?  What kind of barrel nut did you use, and what did you torque it to?

Which upper receiver did you use?  You may have to face the receiver to make it true.  I had an FN upper that took almost all the adjustment to one side to zero.  I took it apart, sanded the face of the receiver on a smooth surface and it only required 3 or 4 clicks to zero.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]
you shoot to the right. The gun performs exactly as it's designed
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all your replies. Problem solved. The upper is a old 601 and the barrel is a SP1 carbine 1:12. When I had the upper configured in the Armalite/Colt 601 I had the same problem. Thinking that the old VP marked barrel had a canted sight I relieved the index slot. That was a few years back. When I put the carbine barrel in the upper I put the index pin against the torque side. To correct the problem I put a shim between the upper index slot and the index pin left side. Long story short the upper index slot was cut wrong from the factory and both barrels do not have canted sights. Clear as mud?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top