Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2016 7:15:46 PM EDT
Good Afternoon All,

I need some help from the community. I have a DPMS LR-308 AP4 rifle in 7.62 (obviously). I have a total of 227 rounds thru the rifle. These rounds have been Winchester white box or American Eagle rounds with zero issues. Recently I tried using some Lithuanian "GGG" headstamped ammo that runs like champ through my M1A. The DPMS is ripping part of the rim off and leaving the spent brass jammed in the chamber. The research I have done (including some destructive testing) indicates the Lithuanian brass is softer than the Winchster and American Eagle brass. My question to the community is, can I do anything to make the DPMS run more reliably (or at all) with a wider range of ammo such as the GGG stuff?  Having a finicky rifle bugs the crap outta me. Would changing bolts, extractors, etc. help?  Do I need to run more rounds thru the rifle before I can expect it to digest a wider range of ammo?  I have already contacted DPMS and their on.y response was "the AR has a different operating system than an M1A (no s**t). Any suggestions/insights/experiences would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have a DPMS LR308 Oracle that would sometimes bend the rims on some of the cases.

*My* problem was due to the rifle being over gassed. The case didn't have time to contract after firing before the bolt tried ripping it from the chamber. I switched to an adjustable gas block. You could also add weight to the buffer system to slow unlock time.

Of course it could be a number of other things. Rough chamber, excessive headspace, or simply bad ammo.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Heavy Buffers 5.5 ounce buffer and buffer spring in it now....just more info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't have an adjustable gas block already, I'd go that route, first.
SLR makes a very nice one and they sell a ball-head hex driver to make adjustments.

A heavier buffer wouldn't hurt, either. Slash sells a 6.5 oz. "extra heavy" buffer. I have one on my Aero M5E1 build and it works like a champ.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you really need to spam your question across three different subfora?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep....glad you found them all. Thanks for the useful suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I would try a heavier buffer and/or an adjustable gas block.

Their carbine buffer system has always been on the light side.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top