Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2015 12:57:05 AM EDT
I have a DPMS 14.5" carbine chrome moly barrel that has around 3-4000 rounds through it most of which was well above recommended rate of fire... The barrel is still plenty accurate, but it has always been overgassed, ejecting brass to around 2 o'clock. I have noticed lately that I am getting a lot more muzzle blast from the comp and carbon around the FSB than usual. The ejection has also closed in as far forward as 1 o'clock. I don't think type of ammo has anything to do with it, but I shoot mostly American Eagle 5.56 and Freedom Munitions reman.

I haven't bothered to take the FSB off and inspect the gas port, but I suspect this is the culprit. I considered getting a new adjustable gas block, but the comp is pinned and based on the age of the barrel it would be cheaper to re-barrel than try and diagnose this and try to fix it. I will probably replace it with a PSA barrel and sell it cheap on EE. Looking for others opinions I guess, maybe there is something I'm not thinking of. Thanks.

ETA: The upper is still 100% reliable. Never had a failure with this upper as far as I can recall.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend a new action spring as well.

ETA: I would also consider moving up in buffer weight, especially if your using a standard CAR buffer.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend a new action spring as well.

ETA: I would also consider moving up in buffer weight, especially if your using a standard CAR buffer.
View Quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a new spring so I'll give that a try. I currently use a Spikes H2 buffer, but I have considered getting a H3.

Dano, I am hesitant to remove the comp because I had it pinned & welded... I usually snake the barrel 4-5 times after a day shooting but it could use a thorough scrubbing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Range report...

New spring, H3 buffer and Sweets 7.62 helped slightly, ejection returned to roughly 2 o'clock. Concussion and muzzle fireballs also slightly mitigated. Might consider an extra power spring and I'm leaning towards keeping the upper and just using it as a blaster. Building another LW upper with PSA parts for bench shooting. Pic of rifle.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heaver buffer is counter productive of the brake, since the source of felt recoil is really the mass of the buffer and bolt reciprocating instead.

Truth is, standard FS and the barrel gas port correctly sized so you don't need a lot of buffer mass to control the stroke will produce less perceived recoil isntead.  Also, ditching the dead blow effect of the buffer does wonders to reduce felt recoil as well.
View Quote

Dano, it's not recoil that's the problem, the upper is overgassed and though it has always ejected brass forward, the concussion and muzzle flash has worsened considerably. I think the aim here was to slow down the cycling via a heavier buffer and possibly a stronger spring or FA carrier, granted malfunctions don't follow, since checking the gas port and changing gas blocks isn't really an option at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Being over gassed is not a problem, being under gassed is. As long as your rifle feeds and functions 100% run it.

I have used Sweet's (follow the instructions) followed by JB Bore Paste to bring heavily fouled barrels back to life.

Try some match ammo, either 52 grain or 69 grain Sierra Match Kings after the cleaning to see how well it shoots. Virtually all barrels will shoot over 20,000 rounds if you're only using it inside of 100/200 yards. Barrels start to lose accuracy at mid-range (600 yards) around 5000+/- in 5.56mm.  

They will soldier on for a long long time for combat style short range use.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top