Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2015 5:51:28 PM EDT
While cleaning and doing an inspection I noticed my extractor spring insert was chewed up looking like this.  Is this common?

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
So you think it was put in there like that from the factory?

I had a spare insert so it has been replaced.  I also needed to replace the spring because I bent it during removal because it was stuck (I know, was in a hurry at work).  So which spring do you suggest for all around use for multiple AR's?  The standard 4 coil, extra tension 5 coil or the colt copper color spring?  The old spring was 4 coil, no donut and had no issues.  Approx. round count 4-5k.  

What are the GSA M-4 springs?  

Where are the best deal on the Colt springs, since I might use and keep these as spares? Midway has for $4.29 and Brownells (with discount) $3.79 (out of stock).  

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As stated, I just tend to pick up the Colt M-4 springs so I know what I am getting in spring tension to begin with,
http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/Extractor_Spring_Assembly.jpg

GSA,
http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/103940

So with USN number, you can order the parts from GSA at huge savings,  if an approved buyer of that program.
How much of a saving, to give you an idea, a gallon on CLP (ROYCO® 634) is only around $24 through GSA.
View Quote

Thanks Dano, I will get some of these.  Is it ok to use a d fender d ring with these?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I got around to installing one of the Colt springs into my extractor.  I had an extremely difficult time getting the spring to snap into place.  No matter how hard I pressed down it would not seat.  I even tried rocking it and slightly twisting it, neither would get it to snap into place.  What I eventually needed to do was use a dental pick and push the edge of the spring down and into place.  

Are the Colt springs known to be this tight or is my cut out on the extractor slightly small?  This might explain why I had a difficult time removing the old one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Supposed to be incredibly tight,  hence so you can pull the extractor pretty much in the dark of night to clean the weapon, and not worry about loosing the extractor spring off the extractor.

As for installing them, I just use a pair of pliers between the top of the spring and the bottom of the extracgor to crush down on the spring to drive the large coil side into the extractor so the large coils seats in place.
View Quote

I agree about the need for them to be tight.  Just was not sure why the Colt could not be pressed in.  A standard and extra power spring could be pressed in with little effort, but the Colt could not.  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top