Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:43:12 PM EDT
Hi, i am a new member to the site and this will be my first post also. I have built my first AR-15 with 16" 1-8 SS Wylde bear creek arsenal barrel, upper and lower. KAK auto NIB BCG,  Spikes lower kit with an ALG NIB trigger With 4.5lb trigger. I test fired it with the stock buffer that came with the Magpul MOE stock kit. 150 rounds and no problems except i noticed each case has a small dent just prior to the shoulder. I am guessing it is from the case hitting the shell deflector. I did have thick brass marking on the shell deflector. I ordered a Spikes tacticle ST-T2 buffer and installed it today. I fired 50 rounds and really noticed the softer feel and the dent is till there on a few cases. Barely noticable but was just woundering do i need to do anything. I am saving all my brass for future reloading and hope it wont effect the reloads..The gun fired every brand i threw at it but the Wolf steel cases did not like my metal GI mags. The BCG would sometimes not strip a round. Thanks for any info.............
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is a small dent on the neck, just in front of the shoulder, it is most likely caused by the case hitting bolt lug on bbl extension in receiver.  Ejector is constantly putting pressure on case, and when case leaves chamber, ejector pops it to the right.  On my 24" bbl rifle (only one that brass hits deflector), base of case is what hits it.  (Shot steel cases in it once, left crescent shaped dents in deflector).
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had a couple of new tight AR's dent cases the first few rounds.  All have loosened up and no more dents after ~100 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a couple of new tight AR's dent cases the first few rounds.  All have loosened up and no more dents after ~100 rounds or so.
View Quote

I hope you cleaned it really well before firing it the first time. Most new rifles have rust preventative in the chamber and bore that need to be cleaned prior to firing. This can cause your problems.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I've been trying to find time to get on here.  I need to look at the bolt face to ejection port position. That is a great idea trimming the threads on the buffer tube so it can be indexed properly. I built this gun and sprayed the inside of the upper and barrel with tuner cleaner. I applied some gun slick to the BCG and some 3 in 1 to the hammer, trigger and on the charging handle. The dents have lightened up and are less frequent. I like the Velcro idea on the brass deflector. I switched the buffer back and forth between the stock and the Spikes ST-T2 and boy what a difference it makes in how smooth the gun is. The casings are ejecting about 3 o'clock and going about 2 feet. I have an O ring on the ejector also. This AR stuff is really fun and I enjoy learning all I can. I've been fooling with guns my hole life but not with AR's. Thanks guys..
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top